Fire TV Software update (551203220) begins rolling out

A new Amazon Fire TV software update, carrying version number (551203220), has just started rolling out to devices. Currently, I only have confirmation that the Fire TV 1 is receiving this update. Amazon has updated their source code notice page to include this new software version. It is listed under both the Fire TV 1 and Fire TV 2 sections, so it appears the Fire TV 2 will also be receiving this update. The Fire TV Stick section of the page has not been updated, which is a bit odd since the last 3 software updates have arrived on all devices simultaneously, so the Stick might be excluded from this update.

I have received the update on a Fire TV 1 and will begin digging through to see what changes, if any, this update brings. Judging by the small size of the update, and the small number increase from to, I would guess this is a bug fix update that doesn’t bring any new features.

Software update on the Fire TV 1 still has the QuadRooter vulnerability. I have run the scanning utility and all 4 vulnerabilities remain present with this new software version.

Remember, Fire TV software updates roll out slowly and it usually takes up to 2 weeks for all devices to receive a new software update, so don’t be alarmed if your device has not received this update yet. You can go into your Settings > System > About menu to force an update check, but if it’s not your device’s turn to update, there is no way to force the update or manually install it. Be sure to comment below when you receive this update and on which device. Also, please let me know if you notice any changes, new features, or bug fixes.

1. TechyChris says:

Hello Elias, do you know if this update is still being sent from the same Amazon sources as previous updates? Meaning, if I have been successfully “update blocked” from the past couple updates will I continue to be? Thanks! It’s these little updates that worry me the most…

• Scott says:

Amazon Fire TV 2ngGen just took the update. Message saying “this may take up to 10 minutes to install…” and it did. It took about 10 minutes to install. No noticeable changes, at least to the lay user.

• James says:

If you subscribe to the Ps Vue service, this update is supposed to fix the lip sync issues as well as fire tv not streaming Ps Vue in 60 fps. It currently streams in 30 fps, while Roku app is 60.

2. Edgar R. says:

Hopefully fixes the audio issues. Netflix is a little annoying to watch because of it.

• DotWin says:

Thank you very much for your comment!
      I thought the Netflix issue was just on my Fire TV, but now I know, that others have it too.

3. Chris K. says:

Maybe the frozen remote gets fixed in this version.

4. Jonny says:

I hope this fixes the pausing issues, my pausing issue, happens on youtube and sometimes kodi. Even when streaming from my NAS :(. I’ve tried 5G and 2.4G wifi on my Fire TV Stick. Got full signal as well :S

5. Bombo says:

I am already in the last update I just hope this does not come to put things difficult for Kodi, a question if amazon Kodi completely blocked another alternative?

6. Adam says:

Bombo, don’t worry, Amazon isn’t going to block Kodi. They went out of their way a couple updates back to make sure that Kodi, specifically Kodi, shows up in the Recent Apps menu.

That’s not the action of a company that is preparing to spring a surprise block on an app.

I’ve noticed that since that event, the people here saying that Kodi users are insignificant to Amazon have been much quieter…

7. Dude says:

Is rbox working on getting this updated for rooted firetv 1?

8. Brandon says: just arrived on my Fire TV Stick. I haven’t noticed any changes, but I haven’t looked that hard yet.

9. Scott says:

Just FYI, this release changed how Alexa tells an app to stop audio when it responds, AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS -> AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT .

10. ZAKsPop says:

Killed my Kodi install on my Fire TV Gaming Edition

11. kywildcat says:

Do you plan on making a guide on how to update to fire os 5, for those of us stuck on

12. ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Elias Could you, or anyone that has received this NEW Fire TV Software update (551203220), please confirm to all of us, if KODI and SPMC are still working flawlessly after updating the FireTV1 and FireTV2 Boxes ?

• AFTVnews says:

Kodi installs fine on the Fire TV 1 with That’s the only box I have that received the update so far, and it’s not my main Kodi box, so I can’t say if anything in Kodi is broken, but I doubt it.

• ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Elias thanks for letting us know that Kodi is still working, and installs fine on your FireTV1 with

Do you have noticed if something has changed or if there are some new functions or fixes ?

• AFTVnews says:

So far I’ve only noticed the two things I’ve already posted about: The ad tracking option, and the PIN prompt for app launches. Once I capture the update package I’ll be able to dissect it and learn more.

• Jaimito says:

Just got the update yesterday on the fire tv stick and the kodi app works fine buuuut, the 1channel url is not working at all all of the primewire stuff I try to access from the add-on in the videos section is completely. I think the update may have done something to the way kodi accesses 1channel. Featured, search, most popular, all come back with the same page load error…… so I think the update did something to Kodi it must have left it ‘alone’ and neutered it in the background

13. Ferruh says:

FireTV 2 and Kodi works.
    But maybe something in the Audio section changed. I have a FireTV 2 and a new TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus, and after update no Audio.

For me no problem. I switch Dolby Digital Plus off, because only connected to the TV with Stereo output…

• ulises A. Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

Ferruh, thanks for the confirmation about KODI.

I was worried because I have read here and in other sites, that KODI was not working well after installing the latest software update (551203220).

Apart of the Dolby Digital Plus audio problems that you mentioned, has you noticed something new ?

I’m still waiting for this update on my FireTV1, FireTV2 and FireTV Sticks, but when I get it, will let you know, if I have any problems with the audio …

• Ferruh says:

No, nothing new so far beside the two points that Elias discovers (Advertising ID and PIN for Apps).

The Dolby Digital Plus issue was a issue of my TV. After rest my TV DDP works again…

14. Kingo says:

Root FAILED on this v5.2.1.1 (551203220).
    Used latest Kingo Root v3.2 apk.

15. Kingo says:

Root FAILED on this v5.2.1.1 (551203220) (Amazon TV Stick).
    Used latest Kingo Root v3.2 apk.

16. Jacrdz says:

Is it just me? I have noticed that does not allow to run kodi from recent apps menu.

17. Voyagermanie says:

I have the same problem on FireTV 1 and on FireTV Stick. Kodi is not listed in recent apps.

18. Alistair Liddle says:

I have lost access to Kodi, Mobdro and all my apps and getting a message which says “this app is not associated with your Amazon account??????