Essential Phone’s new ‘Halo Gray’ color is exclusive to Amazon and comes with Alexa

Essential, the new tech company started by Android co-founder Andy Ruben, has announced new variants of the Essential Phone and one of them is exclusive to Amazon. The new Halo Gray version is only available on Amazon and it “includes Amazon Alexa.” Unfortunately, it seems as though all that means is that the Alexa app comes pre-installed on the device. Even though Essential has received funding from Amazon through the Alexa Fund, which normally goes to companies that innovate with Alexa, there hasn’t been any special Alexa integration done to the Amazon-exclusive phone.

This new version of the Essential Phone is not a new member of Amazon’s Prime Exclusive Phone lineup. It is merely just a regular product that is only available to purchase through Amazon. Prime membership is not required to purchase the phone.

It is available to pre-order now for $449.99, which is $150 cheaper than the other new colors announced. The phone will ship on February 21st and a few days later, on February 24th, the price will increase to $499.99. You can also pre-order the phone with Essential’s 360-degree camera attachment for $499.99.

1. Craig says:

Only if Essential Phone was for $349. Not paying more than that…outside of sales tax. Until Android OEM’s start guaranteeing 4 years worth of major firmware updates like Apple does with iPhones? I’m sticking to mid-range phones like the Moto G or Moto X. I hope Amazon “Prime Exclusives” the upcoming Moto G6 quickly. I got my Prime Exclusive Moto X4 and absolutely love it though I do wish the screen was 5.5″.

• clocks says:

I would settle for 2 years of updates! haha

• Mark says:

I’m lovin’ on my Nokia 6. Yeah, it is a tad slow but I don’t use it for gaming or web surfing so it is amply fast enough for my needs. And, they just gave me a new OS, Oreo. We’ll see if I get android 9. LOL But I really like this phone with Oreo waaay better than android 7, Nougat.

• AR says:

who cares about updates anymore they have not added anything useful since lolipop anyways and oreo seems like a downgrade from Nougat my nexus 6p is still on nougat and i am not updating

so do these phones have google assistant? i eman can they unlock and use assistant hands free

• Mark says:

Completely disagree…LUV Oreo OS. Mostly. LOL

• tech3475 says:

I care.

Not only do you have security issues but also app issues, one app I relied on at one point required Android 5.x, the phone I was using originally shipped with 4.x.

Remember, just because you don’t see anything on the surface, doesn’t mean that nothing has changed.

2. clocks says:

Saw this earlier and it’s tempting, but I like what I am hearing about the new Moto G6 variants coming out. I still don’t feel like I need a $450 phone.

• Mark says:

I paid $200 [w/tax] for my Nokia 6 and I thought that was outrageous. But it is easily, while not the fastest out there, the best phone I’ve owned. And I use it to run my business too. I love it. I can’t imagine this phone [the PH-1] being anything really worth $250 more than what I already have…or need. And with Amazon ads being disabled on the Nokia, the phone sped up. Again, not lightening fast but noticeably faster indeed. I like it most definitely better than the Moto G4+ I used for the past 2 months. You might want to look at one of the lower priced Prime phones.