ES File Explorer drops support for Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

ES File Explorer, the popular file management app, is no longer compatible with the Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. It’s unknown if Amazon is responsible for removing the app or if the app’s developers have decided to drop support for Fire TV devices. ES File Explorer was just updated to version and the update notes say it has a “brand new UI” and “a bunch of new features.” It’s possible the developers just haven’t tested these changes on the Fire TV yet, which would explain the dropped support. The previous version of ES File Explorer was barely compatible with Fire TV devices and was very difficult to navigate without a mouse and keyboard.

ES File Explorer is especially popular among Fire TV owners because it is the only official Fire TV app that has a built in web browser. The web browser allows Fire TV owners to sideload apps without needing a PC or external device. An alternative to ES File Explorer is Total Commander, but without a web broswer, Fire TV owners will need to load APKs onto a USB thumb drive or microSD card if they plan to use Total Commander for sideloading. Fire TV Stick owners will have to use one of several other sideloading methods.

I sideloaded the latest version of ES File Explorer onto a Fire TV and the new UI appears to work as well as the previous version, so hopefully we’ll see the app return to the Fire TV appstore once the developer verifies it still works with the Fire TV remote. I’ve reached out to ES File Explorer’s developer for more information on the situation, and will update everyone if I receive a response.

8/2/2016 ES File Explorer has returned to the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

1. Darren1 says:

Firefox Nightly is a good browser for Fire TV as you can update it within the app itself. It can be downloaded from the Firefox website here

2. ck says:

Total Commander also supports root functions

Product Features
    File manager
    ZIP packer
    Text editor

3. clocks says:

It has not been updated in a while, but I still use the aftv utility app for sideloading Kodi, SPMC, and other apps. If Amazon were to ever block that, I may buy another Shield.

4. Growler says:

No great loss. It was barely usable.

• xenyz says:

The irony is, the latest version (4.1.x) is finally working properly with the remote, aaaand it gets marked as incompatible.

• Mark says:

In your opinion.

Great loss for me I use it to wirelessly transfer video content all the time to my fire tv. I use it because it was the easiest program to figure out how to do this.

5. Joe says:

Which is the last version of ES Explorer that had the simpler UI without the the bloat?

• Manabi says:

I’m not sure if it’s the same one you want, but I’ve stuck with 3.2.0 because it’s the last version without all the advertising crap they added.

6. Larry says:

So how can you get kodi without using the es explorer app?

7. Mark Graner says:

of course i just bought my Fire TV today and i cannot load es explorer and Kodi… i own a chromebook so i cannot download adbfire and sideload… any suggestions?

• Benn says:

Download apps call appsto fire in Google store . If you need to know how to use it. YouTube. Works for me . No computer . Just have to be on the same network

8. Shri Marathe says:

Use es explorer from your android device. Then find afTV from there. Then install kodi to your android. Then use es explorer to load kodi from your android to aftv

9. Pointy says:

I use remite manager function in ES in conjunction with filezilla to flash a backed up build onto a stick ,updated to new es but had drop out issues so went back to last good working version,if using a android phone es is the best way to side loaded any app without a pc or needing to use browser

10. DotWin says:

Since ES Explorer has been transferred to a new owner in 2015 (originally the company was named EStrongs, then it was changed to ES APP Group; now it is ES Global) several Ad-ware and Bloatware components have been added at least to the free version of the Software.
    Here is an interesting article about this:

The current version of ES Explorer caused both my Android mobile phones to lose battery capacity significantly and get very hot.

I have uninstalled the App on any of my devices including the Fire TV and advise anyone to do the same, unfortunately.

11. Robert Baucom says:

‘Agk Fire’ if using android tablet or phone allows you to simply load items to your fire product.

12. Stacey says:

Can someone tell me how to get Kodi seen as tho I cannot get Es file anymore? I don’t know what to download?

13. Paul says:

I have a fire stick to download kodi now es file isn’t available is there another app I can download via my firestick so I can download kodi please?
    Anyone please help

14. Rick V says:

Dl es file explorer to your cell phone then dl apps to fire and send it to your fire stick

15. Mike says:

Rick V,

Could you add a little more clarity to how to use the app on your cell phone to get Kodi to the firestick. Downloaded the app but it is not clear how to get Kodi downloaded and then sent to firestick.

16. Mike says:

Should add I am using an iPhone. Not sure if that make a difference.

• Becky says:

You need an android to download es and then download appstofire…. link your fire stick to the appstofire and then you can send es file explorer to the stick. es will be found on the stick in settings, apps, manage installed apps.

17. Jazz says:

Has anyone found out how to download kodi with out android devices?? Or another simple way to download kodi I have 5 that I need to do for my house

18. eric says:

I have found a way to install Ez Explorer. you need to go on the computer and get it on the amazon website. Save it for cloud only to your account.

19. Cate says:

I’ve got the Es explorer from Amazon but it says not comparable with my device this is so frustrating

20. Liv4ree says:

ok, I have ES on my fire stick, but when I try to install Kodi, it tells me that es is not associated with my amazon account.

• Eric says:

Means that the apps is not linked to your account. You have to save it on go with your browser and save it for cloud.

21. Liv4ree says:

Thanks Eric. Not exactly sure what you mean

22. Liv4ree says:

I’m stuck I have ES on my fire stick, but when I try to install Kodi, it tells me that es is not associated with my amazon account.

23. Ryan says:

I used Sideliader for Fire TV on my iphone to sideload kodi. It was real easy to use.

24. Liv4ree says:

Thanks Ryan. I’m trying it now. I’m using apps2fire

25. Drake says:

Once I download sideloader to my iPhone, what next, Ryan?

• Ryan says:

Download the apk file. Then “open in…” the apk using the sidloader app. It will open in the app and you will select your device to send it to.

26. Johnny bananas says:

Read all the comments but literally nothing is helping. Most of us do not have another android device or do not want to use a computer to install Kodi. We want a workaround to get Es file explorer back, or an alternative browser. Any recommendations?

• xnamkcor says:

Go to your local library like all the other people who don’t own a computer and plug in your USB stick and copy the APK to the USB stick. Failing that you can realise quid pro quo exists or cry in a corner until the problem resolves itself.

27. TomK says:

Wow thanks Ryan. That iphone way is awesome. That app is totally worth the $1.99 it cost.

28. Becky says:

Easy way to get Kodi on fire stick.

Search you tube ‘Kodi Arm download fix / fix alternative method. 2’
    That will explain how to save it to drop box since the arm extension doesnt seem to work on es file explorer anymore.

To download Es file explorer now its been taken off the fire stick, download it to an android tablet or phone and download the app ‘apps2fire’ link you fire stick to apps2fire. You can then send es file explorer to your stick through that. Follow the you tube video above and it takes minutes to get Kodi. Hope this helps

29. Anthony says:

Can someone explain more about the APK? What exactly do I search and download? I have an iPhone. I have the sideloader already but i’m not sure what to download next to send to the stick. Thanks!

30. mike says:

ryan i have followed all steps, got kodi on, got areswizard and have tried downloading pulse but it wont work? any ideas, cheers though

31. Ryan says:

Here is a little tutorial video I made for using iOS devices to sideload Kodi. Good luck!

32. mike says:

hi Ryan, its loaded up great the same as when i did Kodi Jarvis, but when i go in none of the apps work, do you know of any problems which a factory reset of the firestick will help, thanks in advance

33. tech3475 says:

Word of advice to anyone, do not pay for a solution to install Kodi on Fire devices.

All you need is the completely free ADB and the Kodi installer if no native option is available.

If anyone desires it I’ll make a small tutorial, but please do not pay for anything as it is unnecessary.

• Ryan says:

Tutorials are already available on this site. I am not pushing the paid app by any means. I just thought it was easier to use my phone than the computer. Its not paying for a solution, just the convenience of the process. ADB steps aren’t for everyone.

Thanks to all who have helped others on here. This site is the best!

34. Me says:

I have an old desktop XP PC and a new Firestick. (no phone)
    I’m in need of some step-by-step instructions to set up Kodi.
    If anyone knows how I appreciate your help.

35. Drake says:

ok, so I have side loader, then I had to find an APK for the iPhone. So I got XBmc. App won’t launch. Am I doing something wrong?

36. TROY MOSER says:

APPS2Fire id’s a great app. You can sideload, see what files are on the stick, add files, remove, etc from your phone or tablet.

You can also side load apps like Dav Drive or any ftp app and use Apps like ES or Solid Explorer to manage your sticks files.

37. TikaG says:

Can anyone help me I Dl Es file explorer with apps2fire on my stick and than I added the kodi download page to favorites and now I can’t use the android ARM install. It wont install it. Any ideas on how to get it going? Please please help!!

38. Moe money says:

Keep selecting Android arms it will eventually start to load. Or after selecting arms go to bottom right corner it says more with 3 dots. Select open in browser.

39. TikaG says:

Easy way guys if u have an andriod phone like Galaxy. Download kodi on to ur phone from play store. Then download apps2fire from play store. Than sync apps2fire with your fire stick. Than just transfer kodi from ur phone to stick. Now go to setting- applications- manage- kodi – launch on stick. After that u have to do ur plugins and add ons. And u can get those threw youtube videos of best add ons for kodi of 2016. And if your trying to use a iPhone don’t bother u can’t get the apps. Android is easiest! Hope this helps some of u.

40. Amy says:

ES Explorer is not located in amazon catalog once again.
    As of 11:27 pm eastern time.

41. Rober says:

I just bought the new Fire Stick and when searching for apps it doesn’t show ES Explorer as an option. Is there another way to get it?

Thanks in advance