Downloader app now available in Google Play Store for Android TV

Many of you have asked for this for a while and now it’s here. My Downloader app is now available in the Google Play Store for Android TV devices. It took much more work than I originally expected to make the app work on Android TV and get accepted into the Android TV appstore. This is mostly because Google would not accept the app for Android TV if it had a built-in web browser, which is pretty ridiculous because there are already approved browsers for Android TV in the Google Play Store. I was unfortunately forced to disable the browser in the app to get it accepted, but it is finally available for the NVIDIA Sheild TV, Mi Box, Nexus Player, and all other Android TV devices.

For some reason, the app does not come up if you search for “downloader” within the Google Play Store on an Android TV device. Hopefully, this will be corrected soon, but for now, you should search for “aftvnews” to find the app.

Just like with the Fire TV version, Downloader for Android TV is 100% free without any ads. If you appreciate it being made available for Android TV, please consider donating towards its continued development through the in-app donation buttons on the app’s home screen. Due to Google requiring the removal of the built-in browser, which is actually more integral to the app than you may think, it cost me a lot more than I expected to pay my developer to port the app. I want to continue supporting and improving the app for Android TV, but I’m only able to do so if donations cover the app’s development costs. Whether you have the means to donate or not, a positive review would be greatly appreciated.

1. Charlie says:

Congrats!

2. JoeB says:

May be offer apk download version for Android TV which has the Browser feature turned On and can be sideloaded on the Android TV device

3. RobertoL says:

Congratulations, is sad they won’t allow the browser but is better than nothing.

4. Neville Henry says:

I hope you are charging for it, at least a dollar. You don’t have to win at the lottery in order to become a millionaire. You deserve to get paid for your work and creativity. I know I appreciate your program. Thanks!

5. sandii says:

I think your app is the best thing since sliced bread. Makes using a fire stick so much easier and it’s great I can now use it on my shield.

6. Kawshik Ahmed says:

Maybe you guys need to talk with some Google Play representative to allow the full ‘Downloader’ app on Play Store.
    THe ‘Puffin TV Browser’ wasn’t initially allowed also which has full web browser with FLash support, but they were later able to made in accepted.

7. Mike says:

Thanks for all your hard work

8. mark maynard says:

Can’t find it in the playstore typed aftvnews nothing

• AFTVnews says:

Which device are you using? It’s only available for Android TV devices for now.

• I have x96 Android box typed in aftvnews nothing

• Kawshik Ahmed says:

There is no Android TV OS box named x86. The only ‘official’ Boxes that are running Android TV OS is Nvidia SHIELD, Razer Forge, Nexus Player, Mi Box. (There are many Cable Box running ATV OS aswell)

Any other box that says Android TV in the package is running ‘Tablet Android’ no ‘Android TV OS’. They are doing false marketing.

9. Masterblaster says:

Looks like Google pulled it from the store…

• AFTVnews says:

I just searched on an NVIDIA Shield and it came up. When I search “aftvnews” it’s the only app that comes up. When I search “downloader” it is now coming up as literally the last app on the long list of results.

What device are you using?

10. REDZMAN says:

What you should do is put up a donate and a paid version of this. I would gladly pay for it to support you. Either that or put up a version with ads and a option to purchase to remove the ads.

• AFTVnews says:

The app has donation buttons on the home page. So far, the donations the Fire TV version has received have been enough to pay for the app’s development. If the Android TV version doesn’t bring in enough donations to cover development, I’ll probably experiment with ads or a paid version instead of abandoning the app. Hopefully, I won’t have to do that.

• REDZMAN says:

I didn’t even see the donation part as I am at work and haven’t installed it yet. Bravo my man. I’d love to see more Android TV stuff on your site, I found it when I used a Fire TV but moved up to the Nvidia Shield Pro to have a fuller experience. I still follow you and read your posts though because they are so well done. Thanks for the great information

11. Charlie says:

I installed on a Nexus Player and attempted to go to a webpage, but got a disabled message.

• Charlie says:

OK. I finally read your post enough times to realize you were forced to disable the browser. I guess it’s bitly links to install Kodi, for example, at least for now.

12. gayle says:

Wow I am a beginner with a Kodi and I really do not understand any of this. I also have a samsung tv that is not android. Any suggestions. I really am trying to educate myself but sure do get lost in the tech talk

13. Paul D says:

Hope we can eventually get this for non-Android TV boxes. I have a Q Box which runs a tablet Android 6. This app would be useful for that.

Thanks to AFTV for your continued work on this and this site