Dish announces $20 per month internet TV service Sling TV — coming to Amazon Fire TV & Fire TV Stick

sling-tv-stage-pod
Dish has announced a new internet TV service called Sling TV aimed at cord-cutters. For $20 a month, you get live streaming access to an assortment of cable networks that includes ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, TBS, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Travel Channel, ABC Family, Maker, and Disney Channel. This service would mark the first time ESPN, TV’s leading cable network, would be available without a traditional cable subscription.

sling-tv-devices

Sling TV will be a true month-to-month subscription with no contracts or commitments. The service will be coming to both the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick in the form of a free app. It will also be available on a slew of other devices that include Android, iOS, Mac, PC, Roku, Xbox One, Nexus Player, and select smart TVs. A single subscription grants access to the service on all devices.

slint-tv-guide

In addition to the base $20 fee and channels, you can pay extra for “genre packages” that add more content. The first two extra packages being offered are: “Kids Extra” and “News & Info Extra” at $5 each. Details on which cable networks will be included in these additional packages has not yet been revealed.

This isn’t the a-la-carte channel solution many of us have been asking for, but it’s a step in the right direction for those wanting to add live programming to the myriad of on-demand streaming options like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Update

A few more details have surfaced. First off, the service will launch during the first quarter of 2015, so by March. The service will have a DVR-like feature that allows you to pause, rewind, and fast-forward most channels. Some channels will also include a “3-Day Replay” feature that gives customers the ability to watch some shows that have aired in the past three days. The “Kids Extra” package will add Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV and Duck TV. The “News & Info Extra” package will add HLN, Cooking Channel, DIY and Bloomberg TV. Lastly, and most importantly, only one device at a time (per subscription) can be streaming.

SourceDish

1. WildeCard says:

Not the greatest selection, but may end up trying it out for a month or 2. We are cord cutters and we are getting 32 local stations with an antenna on the house being streamed to the Fire TV through XBMC and my HDHomerun. My wife however does miss her HGTV. Lucky for me, I’m not a sports fan so I’m not missing out on too much.

• jason says:

You should get XBMC on your fire tv. You get a number of LIVE channels and then you do get all the sports and movies and tv that you want.

2. BoomSchtick says:

No Discovery. Bummer.

3. johnm93359 says:

1 concurrent streaming device kills the deal for me. They should allow at least 2 concurrent devices / per household (account).

• Dave D says:

I agree with johnm93359. Only one device at a time (per subscription) can be streaming? That sinks the deal for me. That and the fact that it pretty much doesn’t contain 1 channel I watch regularly! But this is a step in the right direction to get channels streamed to set top boxes and video game consoles. Need AMC (Walking Dead), FX, SCi-Fi channel,
      History, NATGEO to name a few.

• jason says:

You should get XBMC on your fire tv. I have been cord cutters for years and i have never missed one tv episode IN HD and all the movies i want. If you need more info you can contact me. I can give you more info on it. Or google around its awesome and i wouldn’t be able to do without it

4. Gene says:

Not the best selection, but this is a great first step for cord cutters getting access to cable channels w/o cable. Your move Comcast.

5. TheCodingDutchman says:

Agree with johnm93359, why in the world would they not allow concurrent devices? Must be worried about people sharing logins outside their household.

Yes, it’s a step in the right direction, but I still don’t understand why an a la cart option isn’t more cost effective — they’d know which networks are in less demand and be able to negotiate a cheaper rate or cut them completely.

6. Geneva says:

Will I be able to subscribe for this service from Canada?

7. Len Mullen says:

Not my cup of tea, but it is a step in the right direction.

8. snorkel says:

The cable companies need to wake up..they are charging way to much for TV.

9. NewlyRooted says:

How will it offer internet?

Or this is just a subscription for the app?

10. RgnKjnVA says:

“Lastly, and most importantly, only one device at a time (per subscription) can be streaming.”

That’s a problem and quite a difference from the other content streamers. Surely they’ll revise that policy unless there’s some reason such a restriction is being imposed upon them by a licensee. Is that how they got ESPN/ESPN2, I wonder? The other apps seem to be available elsewhere but it’s the first time I’m seeing ESPN.

11. RgnKjnVA says:

…and why did they call it ‘Sling TV’ thus having to explain in their presser effectively ‘Oh yeah, don’t be confused by that OTHER Sling thing’? lol

12. DishSucks says:

Still an overpriced joke. Real-time only except 3day replay on a few channels? Only one box at a time? No wonder Dish is sending me 2 mailers a week, want to lock me into contract before this comes out. Wish they would go under.

13. BillH says:

For $20, you should get more channels than that. I would watch TNT, TBS and ESPN but I don’t think that alone is worth $20 per month for me especially when I have 3 rooted fire tv with xbmc. No concurrent devices is a killer though. I think this is a small step though for cord cutters like myself but I will pass.

14. Robert says:

Give me the Big Ten Network, and I’d sign up. Does this also come with ESPN3 in addition to ESPN and ESPN2? Of the channels listed, ESPN and ESPN2 are the only ones that interest me. I might pay $15 for just those two channels.

15. James says:

Why no Fox News? I like to watch the whole political/cultural spectrum of news and commentary.

16. Janet Byrd says:

I signed up for the sci-fi channel when I purchased 2 Roku 3 ‘s I received all the channels
    but the current sci-fi’s. There is an app there but it will not do anything. Also are some other sci-fi apps but the shows are old. Please let know how to fix it.

Janet Byrd

17. Adam Creary says:

Need a reason to go to this and get away from my wife but it has to make it sound like I earned this. Is there like a company that gives free passes and hotel stay to attend the ces?