Dear subscribers, I’m sorry for the flood of emails

If you’re subscribed to receive an email notification every time I write a new post, you probably just received about a thousand emails from me. I’m so sorry. A few weeks ago I decided to take down all of my “deal” posts that were about deals that had already expired. Today I decided it was better to instead mark those posts as “[Expired]” and keep them on the site so that everyone can continue to read comments and information about past deals, even after they expire. It turns out that when I brought those posts back, the system that sends out email notifications to subscribers treated them as new posts and sent out a new notification for each post. Again, I’m so sorry for inadvertently flooding your inbox. Even though it won’t happen again, I wouldn’t blame you for unsubscribing from my site’s notifications, which you can do through the link at the bottom of any notification email.

1. Adam says:

That’s ok, Elias.

2. Adam says:

Arrrh!

You have duplicate posting protection enabled!

No fair.

I was going to post this that three times.

It was going to be glorious!

sigh…

3. Steve says:

UNSUBSCRIBED!~

4. Erin says:

Was beginning to wonder what happened. One big goof after all this time isn’t enough to scare me off.

5. djino says:

When will the emails end LoL. They’ve been non-stop every 2 seconds for the past hour lol. :)

• AFTVnews says:

If it makes you feel any better, pretend each email is me hitting my head against the wall because of how dumb I feel.

I can’t do anything about stopping them at this point. If new ones are still coming in, you can try to unsubscribe and then, if you forgive me, re-subscribe.

• djino says:

That is exactly what I did. Its no biggie, only funny. Its not a reason to permanently stop the subscription to your site. :)

6. cheryl jones says:

Thanks for letting us know. I was worried it was something nefarious. I agree with Erin.

7. C1ar0 says:

I thought a bunch of stuff went on sale, than I read and it was along the lines of since Prime Day, or on Sale for Black Friday. I was like this must be a glitch. Anywho, I’m still subscribed.

8. Rosalyn says:

When I unsubbed, the emails stopped. I will subscribe again another day.

• clocks says:

I think the emails start coming again when you resub, at least that is what happened to me. Maybe if you wait a few days.

9. Richard says:

Haha… I looked at my phone and saw 600 messsge and thought… “uh oh… what did I do wrong”

No biggie Elias… keep up the good work.

10. Mike says:

Ha! You are human like the rest of us…No biggie, I know how to use the Delete button.

Thanks for the quick mea culpa.

I would never unsubscribe from you because of this.

11. edit4ever says:

unsubscribe – resubscribe totally stopped the flood…

so no worries. keep the great aftvnews coming!

12. Matt says:

Glad I read this post. After three dead links I knew something must be up. I have gained a certain skill in deleting massive amounts of email from Gmail. Took about 2 min.

• Randy says:

How do you delete massive number of Gmails? I could never find that trick.

• RedPenguin says:

What I did was, I went to my GMail Search Box and typed in:

“AFTVNews is:unread” (without quotes)

Then I hit the “Select All” then after you hit the Select All button the following comes up near the top of the page.

“Select all conversations that match this search”

I hit that and then just hit delete, and it cleaned up all unread messages from AFTVNews.

13. clocks says:

Unintended consequences. :-)

14. Gareth Price says:

As long as you promise not to repeat it on Twitter

• AFTVnews says:

Damn. I had no idea it tried reposting everything to Twitter and Facebook as well until I read your comment. Luckily only about 5 or 10 posts made it out before something thankfully failed.

• Gareth Price says:

I was only joking (the post missed out the ‘wink’ at the end)…but glad it helped to alert you to check (smiles)

• Gareth Price says:

I just checked and only 4 ‘old’ posts made it to Twitter. Had read them when they arrived but didn’t look at the dates of posting!

15. AFTVnews says:

Thanks to everyone above for understanding. For those curious, so far I’ve lost about 13% of my email subscribers.

According to the fine folks at WordPress, the notifications should not have been sent when I brought back all of the “deal” posts, so it looks like I stumbled on a bug. Lucky me. I’m helping them figure out what went wrong so it doesn’t happen to someone else.

16. Richard says:

My FOMO caused me to reread EVERY ONE OF THEM.
    ;)

17. xnamkcor says:

Spamming old posts isn’t funny; it’s hilarious.

18. BoxinTheCompass says:

No worries Elias,

I did un-sub’d but will sub back in a day… I figured that was what happened.

19. AFTVnews says:

It turns out that any posts made before I implemented the email notification system, which is the majority of the “deal” posts, were seen as new posts when I brought them back because the email notification system was not around when those posts were first published. That’s why it sent out all the emails when those posts reappeared.

20. Nate says:

Ah, we have all had a moment where we CCed a few too many extra people on an email at work (read: Some of us, who will remain nameless, have emailed an entire 500+ person distribution list at work and had no business doing it!)

Willing to bet you will get that 13% back here before long! Looks like we are mostly an understanding bunch here :)

21. SDS says:

lol it’s all good! I figured that there was glitch somewhere. Have to tell you tho, I got excited about that Fire 7 sale at target only to be let down. Haha
    I unsub as a temp fix, I am going to sub again now.

22. BigAl says:

Thank You for the transparency Elias!! It says a lot about you and your dedication to your readers to be upfront and informative about the situation. I’d prefer 1000 emails than 1000 pieces of direct mail….LOL.

23. RedPenguin says:

I just deleted the emails out of my GMail but I did have to laugh.

I thought Amazon was randomly putting on one of the biggest sales ever.

I was like man I can really get some great deals.

Then I was like oh wait these are expired deals. LoL

24. Bic Basher says:

Have all the emails been sent out as I’d like to subscribe to the mailing list>

25. Cecilia says:

I am so used to checking your site every other day that it never occurred to me to sign up for email notifications! I’m signing up right now.