DC Universe streaming service arrives on Amazon Fire TV devices

DC Universe is now available on all Amazon Fire TV devices. This is a new streaming service, that launched a couple of months ago, which gives access to movies, TV shows, and comics in the DC Comics spectrum. Subscribing lets you access a library of older movies, like the Christopher Reeve Superman movies and many of the Batman movies. You also get access to older TV shows, like LOIS & CLARK, as well as a brand new original Titans series. There are also several animated series in the catalogue and many comics to read. A DC Universe subscription normally costs $7.99 per month or $79.99 per year, but there is a holiday promotion going on now that gives you your first 3 months for $3.99 per month or your first year for $59.99.

Follow AFTVnews on Twitter / Facebook and subscribe via email to be the first to learn when new articles go live. Follow me, Elias Saba, on Twitter and Instagram to see what I'm working on before it's posted here.

1. Stank says:

AFTVnews only promotes DC comics and not the “other side.” My spidey sense is indicating an obvious bias! Enough! :p

2. Tony Ramirez says:

About time. I will renew my sub now.

3. WAYNE RUSSELL says:

I have Fire Stick. How do I access DC Universe. I am a member but Can’t figure it out

4. Tony Ramirez says:

App works great. Before I was using the Roku which did not tell you how much time is left and the Chromecast a mess using a phone as a remote seems to like always putting me on Season 3 of all applicable shows plus phone battery drain during casting.

Android app never left you on your last watched episode.

The Apple TV app was the worst, slow, ugly and when you watched something it only remembered you watched 58 seconds still after several updates.

The AFTV app remembers where you left off, remembers you watched it and remembers what episode you are on. Now I can renew my sub when it expires on the 22nd as I can’t renew it until it ends.

5. "Clueless" Ted Kord Cutter says:

Stupid question. I watch Amazon Prime through my Samsung TV. I “subscribe” to HBO and Showtime THROUGH Amazon (I think it’s called “Amazon Channels” or “Prime Channels”…. This is NOT a Fire stick. But does that count as a “Fire Device”?

Thanks

• Fjtorres says:

A Fire Device is an Amazon-branded (or licensed, in the case of TVs) bit of hardware that runs FireOS, the Amazon fork of generic, non-Googgly android. It connects to the Ama,on app store instead of Google’s Play Store, which had a DC Universe app from day one.

It includes TVs from Toshiba, Westinghouse, Insignia and, from Amazon, a variety of FireTV streaming devices.

It’s the main reason this site exists. :)

• Ted Kord Cutter says:

Ha ha! And I only found you because of the DC News. Ive tried to reaach out to the DC folks to tell them they need to integrate with Amazon Channels, but their Help Desk people don’t understand the difference between the stick and the TV interface. And what they don’t understand, they don’t escalate.

I don’t understand APIs and all that nonsense – I was hoping if, since DC was integrated with “All” AF devices, the code was similar enough to the built-in TV interface that soon that would follow. Follow?

Thanks

• Fjtorres says:

They’re not even supporting the tablets, and they’re running the same base OS. I suspect they were a bit too specific in the contract with the developer.
          At least they recognized there’s tons of FireTV gadgets out there and they were missing out on a big chunk of the market.

• Ted Kord Kutter says:

Got it. So what’s it “officially” called when you subscribe to other services (e.g., HBO, BBC, Starz, CBS All-Access) through Amazon Prime, and then watch through any Amazon-streaming device? Is that indeed called “Prime Channels”?

Thanks. Sorry for being so dense.

• Fjtorres says:

Don’t worry.
            Asking questions is never wrong.

6. Fjtorres says:

Take note: the App does not directly surface everything in the service that the web app offers up. You need to use the search function. Which is pretty good and remembers past searches.

It seems to be missing the top level categories for COMICS, MOVIES, ENCYCLOPEDIA, and the store. If anybody knows how to find them…?

Search will find stuff like Superfriends, the 40’s Superman serial, the 50’s show, the 70’s Superboy, etc.

7. bobsy says:

Do you think this means compatibility between the app and fire tablets is on the horizon?

8. NAME says:

This is not available on all fire devices I can’t find it anywhere I tried downloading it off of Google said it won’t let me it’s still need some work so please please please DC make this available for Amazon fire devices

• Fjtorres says:

You’re looking for love in all the wrong places.
      Try the link embedded in tbe article above, not at google.
      Not it supports FireTV, not Fire Tablets.