Comparing the 1st and 2nd-gen Amazon Fire TV Specs

The next generation Fire TV is a week away from arriving. If you haven’t decided if it’s worth upgrading yet, here is a table comparing the different specifications of the new device with the existing first generation Fire TV to help you decide.

1st Generation Amazon Fire TV
2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV
Video Resolution1080p @ 60fps (1920x1080)
720p @ 60fps (1280x720)
2160p 4K @ 30fps (3840x2160)
1080p @ 60fps (1920x1080)
720p @ 60fps (1280x720)
Included Remote ControlYes
Bluetooth Voice Remote
Wifi Voice Remote
Game Controller Support3rd-Party Bluetooth Controllers
3rd-Party USB Controllers
1st-Gen Fire Game Controller
2nd-Gen Fire Game Controller (Private Audio not supported)
3rd-Party Bluetooth Controllers
App Storage
Media Storage
MicroSDNoYes, up to 128GB
MicroSD Usage-App Storage
Media Storage
Video FormatsH.264, H.263HEVC H.265, H.264
Audio FormatsAAC-LC, AC3, E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, HE-AACAAC-LC, AC3, E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, HE-AAC, EC3_JOC (Dolby Atmos)
OpenGL VersionOpenGL ES 3.0OpenGL ES 3.1 with AEP
Max OpenGL Texture Size40968192
Power Adapter16 Watt21 Watt
Private ListeningVia Bluetooth Headphones
(3rd Party)
Via Bluetooth Headphones
(3rd Party)
Via Game Controller
(Sold Separately)
Voice AssistantAlexa, with Fire OS 5 UpdateAlexa
Size4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7"
(115 mm x 115 mm x 17.5 mm)
4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7"
(115 mm x 115 mm x 17.8 mm)
Weight9.9 oz (281 grams)9.5 oz (270 grams)

1. Hmmm says:

Different power adapter

2. Grinder says:

I’m mostly worried about whether OS 5 has had any of the bugs ironed out, because if it’s anything like the Dev Preview it’s a distinct “do not upgrade” for Kodi. That goes for the BBC iViewer too, which is also incompatible with OS 5.

3. Milky1 says:

How will 1080p @ 24fps look on this? (through Kodi)

I always got the ‘judder’ affect on panning scenes on the AFTV1

4. Peter s says:

Dolby Atmos support is sweet. I have an ATMOS AV receiver and speakers setup at home.

5. Justin says:

Would like to see benchmarks comparing 2nd fire tv to shield tv and new apple tv.

6. Gareth says:

All that extra Va Va Vroom inside it…and it weighes less! How do they do it :-0

More seriously, will there be a way, when first setting it up, of transferring all your settings, content etc to the new box from the old box or will you have to set it up manually and download everything again.

Or are you already working on that Elias ;-)

7. boudy says:

not sure that bluetooth box is correct on a 1st Gen, otherwise my bt headphones wouldn’t work and they do work, if those were the starting specs at release, i can understand but think that’s changed over the release life of the 1st gen.

8. Greg says:

There’s a lot to like about the Fire TV, and with the 2nd gen., even more. But, I’m also concerned about judder with Kodi. I’ve decided to hold off buying until I know that’s been corrected. When it arrives, I would appreciate comments here about that.

9. pmcd says:

Nice player, especially for the AC wifi. Not sure it’s worth upgrading for people who already have a gen 1 Fire TV.

10. The Dude says:

Still wondering if the USB will support NTFS instead of FAT for use with external HDDs. I would think it the SD slot is capable of 128GB then the USB would be NTSF supported as well. There may be no association between the two though.
    any thoughts

11. Rfc says:

Gutted there’s no optical audio out now.. I’ve got my first gen one directly connected to my soundbar.

12. atone says:

I’ll also miss the optical out since I use it with an old receiver. I’ll upgrade in another year or much later after I upgrade to 4k hdtv, and maybe a dolby atmos receiver.

13. JackFrost71 says:

No mention of HDMI version?

14. Dan says:

It think the 802.11 AC might offer some real performance improvement. My disappointment would be the remote not offering private listening and some simple universal remote functions for TV.

15. xnamkcor says:

Looks like I may get some use out of that AC WiFi router I got recently.

16. Bruce Walker says:

How does the new WiFi remote work? Do the remote & FTV box connect to my network as separate devices, or is there some peer-to-peer WiFi connection between the FTV and remote separate from the FTV’s network connection?

• xnamkcor says:

From what I remember of how the Roku one worked, was that the box connected however to your network, and the box made its own 5GHz WiFi strictly for use with the remote. I’m not sure though.

17. Kevy Kev says:

Again. You rule.
    It’s like you’re psychic and post the things I’m wondering silently in my head during work hours.
    Thanks dudes!

18. mGuest says:

Will Logitech Harmony (hub version) work With 2nd gen?

• SCD says:

2nd Gen works fine with Harmony Hub. Even a preset configuration that works though I am not sure why they power the FireTV up and down. You should be able to leave it on and count on the device power management

19. Mike says:

How does the wifi remote work in a hotel wifi situation where wifi uses login? How does the remote connect?

20. Noam says:

Removing the optical audio out? Wtf Amazon? I’ll stick with my 1gen for now… :/

21. RVD26 says:

I’m shocked so many people here (who I assume are big into technology and gadgets) are still using old outdated receivers where the lack of an optical output is considered a “deal-breaker”.
    I’ll take SD card expansion slot any day over optical output.

• xnamkcor says:

Are they using the HDMI port to connect to a monitor via DVI adapter? Even my XBR960 has HDMI with sound, and that thing is old.

• HDMIyes! says:

I agree. My receiver doesn’t support HDMI, but my TV does and my TV has optical out. HDMI AV receivers can be had for less than $300 and include numerous new features.

• Damir says:

You are joking, right?!

What DAC do you use to play the sound?

Those that care about sound quality use optical output.

Noobs that can spare to have only a TV use HDMI.

• Hubba Bubba says:

Well, I for one have an older Sony flagship STR-DA777ES receiver/amp that absolutely rocks. This thing weighs almost 50 pounds and puts out the purest, sweetest sound. It does not have HDMI inputs, but does have optical and coaxial SPDIF. I use this in a media room with a home theater digital projector that does not have a digital audio output. In order to use digital audio, I would need to purchase an HDMI audio de-embedder.

This doesn’t kill the deal. The gen 1 has the digital audio output, but the specs of the new gen 2 are much better. I’d rather get a gen 2 with digital output as this would create one less point of failure, but since it’s not available, will go with the gen 2 and the work-around, but I will let Amazon know that I find this the less desirable approach.

22. John says:

Digging the SD Card. Tempted to pick up a 128 gig to have in hand when the new Fire TV arrives, but looking at the cost discrepancy between 64 and 128, I’m unsettled. What’s everyone else doing? Think there’s really a need for 128? Even if you’re a gamer, you probably aren’t playing that many games at any one time that you need that much storage space…

23. Derek says:

Wish the upgrade used a Qualcomm again, not fond of MediaTek silicon.

24. Angelo says:

I agree that not having optical or digital out is short sighted as many people have great receivers without hdmi (my $2k denon will put to shame any 500 new receiver with hdmi because the amps). The being said, the Monoprice hdmi switch has an optical out that it pulls from the hdmi feed and then cm signal can be used for Dolby digital and dts.

25. Mark says:

I have a gen 1. I have HDMI going to TV and optical to my older Sony receiver. This setup allows me to listen to music with the TV turned off.

26. Paul says:

it doesn’t support wireless xbox controllers anymore via usb receiver, why do amazon always have to break soemthing thats really useful

27. René says:

Does the new Box support 5.1 passthrough HDMI?

28. Beast says:

My wife bought my Amazon fire TV for my last birthday the only problem I have is that I can’t hook it up to my surroundsound system..

29. Cynthia Fortner says:

Okay I’ll be the dummy lol. Do you have to have a box and a remote? Or can you just have the remote?

30. member says:

The new Fire TV uses 5.5mm DC JACK, isn’t it ?

31. Neil Richardson says:

We have I think a 2nd gen stick. (No optical for audio). We have a uhdtv Samsung curved screen. Problem we have is about every 5 second approx.the screen jumps a frame. Can’t watch programmes for it. Our nowtv box works great as does smart tv functions. Audio is good to. Any ideas before I take it back to Currys.