Chromecast Ultra announced with 4K UHD and HDR for $69

Google officially revealed the new Chromecast Ultra at their media event this morning. The new device will be the first Chromecast to support 4K UHD video, as well as HDR content, both HDR10 and Dolby Vision standards. It will be $69, as rumors predicted, and available in November.

The Chromecast Ultra is positioned to be the first streaming device, apart from specific smart televisions of course, that supports the newer Dolby Vision HDR format. That all depends on when it ships, since Google hasn’t given a specific date, and other devices may be announced and made available before the Chromecast Ultra.

At launch, Google says YouTube, Netflix, and Vudu will be the only sources of 4K content on the Chromecast Ultra. Google Play Movies will finally be offering 4K content in November as well, and the device’s product page indicates the RedBull TV app will support 4K casting at some point.

The new Chromecast Ultra is very similar to its 1080p predecessor, apart from the 4K and HDR support, but Google says it can load content 1.8x faster and the onboard 802.11ac reception has been improved. If you prefer an ethernet connection, Chromecast Ultra will have Google’s $15 ethernet adapter plug included in the box.

The chromecast Ultra is not available to preorder yet, but it will be released some time in November. It will probably do fairly well on name recognition alone, since Google says they’ve sold over 30 million Chromecasts total, but when devices like the Fire TV Stick 2 are available for $39.99 and the Mi Box for $69, which does everything the Chromecast Ultra does, except Dolby Vision, it’s a hard sell.

1. Craig says:

Not interested… #mibox

2. Troks says:

35 bucks is the sweet spot.

3. clocks says:

I still don’t understand why people buy Chromecasts. The device has never made sense to me compared to the competition.

• tech3475 says:

One thing to remember was that the chromecast started out as one of the earlier ‘stick’ devices, main reason I got one at the time.

These days, I reckon it’s mainly familiarity, discounts or compatibility with the odd thing e.g. Google Play and small footprint (assuming you don’t want a remote) which keeps it going.

That said, I do think this device is flawed at it’s price point, I don’t think it will be long before it’s discounted.

• David says:

I don’t understand why apple doesn’t offer a similar device for Airplay.

• Christer Landén says:

In Europe we only have that and Apple TV so Chromecast natural choice for us

4. Tony Ramirez says:

$69 with no remote. No thank you. If it was a Android TV dongle with Chromecast support then yes I would have gotten it.

5. Joe says:

Chromecast seems like another Google experiment that will most likely fizzle way. It may appeal to people who travel or possibly for business presentations.

6. Jaremy says:

This box is amazing for me. I have a Vizio 2016 P series 75″. It basically has this device built in with the HDR and DV support.

The problem though is audio. To use the built in cast with an multichannel surround setup you have to use HMDI ARC. ARC is unreliable. It has never worked for me.

I need a device that I can plug into my preamp for proper audio and then pass the video signal on to the tv. This is it.

Dolby Vision HDR is amazing, and VUDU is supporting is awesomely. This is the only box out that will let me enjoy that content in my system.

I still hope the new fire tv supports HDR10 and DV, but it lacks VUDU either way. Just at the chromecast lacks Amazon.

7. Tony says:

Chromecasts are for those who use their smart phones for everything everywhere they go, and want the ability to use their phones to throw things up on the big screen while lounging at home on the couch….but I don’t get it either….seems like more wear & tear on the smartphone.

8. NashGuy says:

I’m surprised to see the Chromecast Ultra support Dolby Vision. It’s the first (non-TV) streaming device to do so. This gives me hope that the 2nd gen Nvidia Shield TV coming soon will also support Dolby Vision. That’s really about the only thing that device is missing, along with an official Amazon Video app.