Channels app for HDHomeRun tuners adds support for older Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks

The Channels app, which gives owners of HDHomerun networked TV tuners an alternative way to watch live TV debuted in the Amazon Fire TV appstore last month. At the time, it was only available for the Fire TV 3 because that was the only Fire TV model that supported native hardware deinterlacing. Channels has just released an update that adds support for the Fire TV 1, Fire TV 2, Fire TV Stick 2, and all Fire TV Edition televisions. The only device not supported by the app is now the 1st Gen Fire TV Stick. The app’s developers tell me they were able to support older models by writing their own custom deinterlacer that uses the GPU to perform the necessary deinterlacing process.

1. Randy says:

Great However, $25 up front then $8 per month. CRAZY price!!!

2. Proline says:

Nice. I didnt mind paying the 25. App code is cleanly written and alot less buggy than HdHomerun app. Pay attention to all the complaints about unable to stream issues in their forums. They constantly trim the posts to negate the issue and response has been we are working on it for 4 months. They need to hire Channels developer to fix their problems. But yes the 8 dollar a month Dvr fee is excessive

3. Mark B says:

Good on him for putting in the effort.

4. Chris says:

I think I’ll stick with Kodi for LiveTV playback of my HDHomeRun and other OTA tuner. Price being one contributing factor. I do miss using Media Center and Ceton Echo for Live TV and PVR, it just seemed to work the best, but that was back during cable TV days. Now I just watch OTA stations for the most part and don’t record what I don’t watch live.

• Randy says:

I’m going to bite the bullet and give it a try. I cannot stand the interlacing that HDHomeRuns app can not get around. It is so bad, it is un watchable. I e-mailed silicon dust with my issue and they said the FIRE TV 2 could not be deinterlaced because the chip was not strong enough but I know that was a load of c#@p because Kodi does it. I sent that reply to them and never heard back. lol.

5. Vlaves says:

What does the developer say bout proper h264 1080i deinterlacing? Is it utilizable on any Fire TV? The 3rd Fire TV should have great amlogic motion adaptive deinterlacing, but for MrMC for example it is not implemented in the Firmware

6. Randy says:

I did it. Just made the purchase.
    I will let everyone know how well I like it in a few days.

7. neogeo71 says:

I loved channels on iPad but at the time the devs were not interested in the amazon firetv. Now for me it is too little too late. Cancelled my cable tv and sold my HDHomerun tuner. I applaud the devs as it is an amazing app and SD with all their $$$ cannot fo better than this small team of devs.

8. Llyod says:

Didn’t i read somewhere, that this only supports newer HD Homeruns, and not oldet ones like the HDHR3-US?

• VannaBrown says:

I had to buy a newer HDHomeRun to get Channels to work on my Shield and also to get Plex server to work on a Windows 7 box.

Silicon Dust gives you a discount if you currently own an old model. Just email them.

9. Randy says:

I bought this app yesterday and so far so good. The picture quality is way better than Silicon Dust’s HDHomeRun app. I can use the same $25 purchased app on all 6 of my Fire TV devices making my effective cost per device $4.17. The TV guide is good but for some reason only goes about 5 hours into the future (is this the way it is supposed to be?). Long program descriptions (more than three lines) ends with … (dot,dot,dot) making me think there is more of a description to be seen but I can not find anyway to view that extended description. Is there a users guide that explains the app or am I just supposed to figure it all out by trial and error?

10. Richard Shepherd says:

I have been a long time Channels user and Channels DVR subscriber. Initially I had it on Apple TV which is the most mature platform. The FTV is catching up quick and the developers have made enormous progress.
    If you but the app it will work on all your FTVs and need a HD homer I. To work with. The stand alone app uses guide data from the OTA signal which is about 5 hours. The app allows you to pause and rewind live TV.
    If you subscribe to the optional DVR service for $8 a month you get a software package that you can install on an always on PC, Mac or a supported NAS or even Nvidia Shield. The full list is on their website. The Channels app then talks to this and the DVR service records onto the PC or NAS hard drive. Subscribing to the DVRvalso extends the guide viewable on the FTV app out to 21 days.
    Currently you can browse and watch recordings from the FTV but not set them. That is coming. To set them now you either need the Apple TV or iOS app or use the web interface from the DVR.

11. Richard Shepherd says:

Sorry for the typos above. The $8 DVR subscription mainly pays for the license for the 21 day guide data which is sourced from a third party company.