Amazon’s Prime Music library just gained 400,000 new songs overnight

One great side effect of Amazon’s new Music Unlimited streaming service is that it has considerably increased the number of songs available to Prime members through Amazon Prime Music. Yesterday, there were around 1.8 million songs in the Prime Music library that Prime Members can access for free. Now there are just over 2.2 million songs available in Prime Music. To make Amazon Music Unlimited a reality, Amazon must have made numerous new deals with record labels. It looks like those deals included Prime Music negotiations as well, so if there’s a song you’ve wanted to listen to that hasn’t been in Prime Music, you may want to take a second look.

1. RgnKjnVA says:

They have their work cut out for them. Spotify IMO is an almost perfect streaming product. Competition is always good though.

2. mGuest says:

Nope, there are a lot of artists and albums removed my prime library.

3. D says:

Nope, still a lot of albums with songs missing because those must be purchased separately – they feel like termite-eaten books.

I like Prime Music, but it’s just not my preferred method. I had to “buy” every album and song I wanted to do something with, which made little sense to me and was an unnecessary step.

I do like the karaoke and muzak covers of songs by artists whose catalog was unobtainable for Prime, though :)

4. ADM says:

I lost tons of music on Amazon overnight. Some bands had 7 or 8 albums now have 2.

5. Still at a lower bitrate than Google Play though :/

6. jbrodack says:

That’s good to hear. I as afraid they would either get rid of or severely reduce the amount of songs in Prime Music after launching the full music service. Prime Music is a bonus so it really doesn’t have to compete with anything.

The unlimited service directly competes with Spotify though and seems to be trying to compete by offering a lower price.

7. Christopher Loughrey says:

I see many albums have been removed. Paul McCartney, for example, had two albums, McCartney and Band on the Run but has now lost Band on the Run.