Amazon’s Alexa can now play music for your alarm

Amazon has added music alarms to Alexa. For all Alexa devices that support alarms, which include all the Echo devices but does not include Fire TV devices, you can select a song or type of music to be played when the alarm goes off, instead of the alarm sound being played. The feature works with all of the supported music services available through Alexa, which include Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, SiriusXM, and iHeartRadio.

To set a music alarm, simply say “Alexa, set an alarm with [music choice] at [time].” Another acceptable command is “Alexa, wake me up at [time] to [music choice].” If you want the alarm to automatically repeat, you can add “…everyday” or “…every [day of the week]” to the end of either command.

What you say as your music choice can pretty much be any type of music command you can give to Alexa. You can ask for a specific song, album, or artist. You can also use a playlist or specific station to be played. You can even request a song with certain lyrics if you don’t know the name of the song by saying “…the song that goes [lyric]…” where you would say your music request.

Amazon says this was among their most requested features for Alexa. Music alarms are arriving just in time because the Amazon Echo Spot will be released in about a week and it seems like the perfect bedside device, so it’s important for it to have a good set of alarm capabilities.

1. Tampa8 says:

Finally! Waking up to a station AND using whatever you want for a alarm…. I have no doubt those were indeed the most asked for additions.

2. PatJ says:

Not working on my Tap. Which, coupled with the lack of multi-room audio and phone calling, make it appear to quickly be becoming the ugly stepchild of Echo devices.

• AFTVnews says:

Yeah, it’s sad because the Tap is probably the most versatile device in the lineup. I’ve mostly stopped posting about when it goes on sale because I don’t want to push people towards a device that looks like it’s being neglected.

3. AR says:

i wish they would add playing music to routines next

4. steve says:

doesn’t work for me.

5. Nick Waterton says:

Not Working on my Devices (mostly Echo Dot V2). Is this a US only thing? I’m in Canada.

6. David Power says:

Does not work on echo or echo plus in the UK

7. Jools P says:

Not working on my new Echo as well. I want to be able to wake to a specific station on TuneIn (BBc Radio 5). Alexa either sets a standard alarm or plays the station, not both. I spoke to a support rep who confirmed that you *cannot* set a specific station as an alarm – only a song/genre/playlist.

8. Mike says:

“music alarms are not currently supported in your region” (UK)

Hurry up amazon

9. Laura says:

Does anyone know, is it supposed to be supported on the Tap? Are there plans to have it supported? Or do I have to buy a new device?