Amazon’s $3.99 Echo-only plan for Amazon Music Unlimited is litterally for a single device

alexa-echo-dot-tap-mute-unmute

Amazon Music Unlimited, the new stand-alone music streaming service from Amazon, launched this morning with an enticing $3.99 per month option for Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Amazon Tap owners. The catch though is that the $3.99 plan can only be used from a single device. That doesn’t mean a single device at a time, but rather, it literally means only a single Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap can access the Amazon Music Unlimited library.

To sign up for the $3.99 Amazon Music Unlimited plan, you have to say “Alexa, start my Music Unlimited free trial” to an Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap. The device which you start the free trial from will be the device that has access to Amazon Music Unlimited when the free 30-day trial ends. Even if you start your trial through Alexa, you will have access to Music Unlimited from all devices during the free trial.

After the 30-day free trial is over, if you try to play Amazon Music Unlimited songs from an Alexa device other than the one you used to sign up for the service, you will be told you need to upgrade to the full music plan to play music on that device. There is no option to add multiple $3.99 plans to a single account. If you want to listen to Amazon Music Unlimited from more than one Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap, you will have to sign up for the $7.99/mo ($79/yr) Prime plan or the $9.99/mo non-Prime plan.

The Echo-only plan is not available to other Alexa enabled devices, like the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. You will need to be subscribed to the full plan to listen to the Amazon Music Unlimited library on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, whether it’s through Alexa or through the music app.

You can check and make changes to your music subscription settings on this page. It’s unclear at this point if you can switch an Echo-only plan from one device to another. I’ve reached out to Amazon for clarification and will update this post if I hear back.

You can say “Alexa, downgrade/upgrade Amazon Music” to move from an Echo-only plan to a full plan, and vice versa. When you ask to downgrade your plan, Amazon’s documentation says “music streaming will be limited to your preferred device.” Since there is no way, that I can find at least, to designate a prefered Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap, it may just mean the device you are currently speaking to, so upgrading and then immediately downgrading through a different device may be the best way to switch an Echo-only plan to a different device.

1. anjenaire says:

What I would want to know is a) can I set it up on one Echo device and control it via other devices (i.e. if I say “Alexa play Prime Music Station 90’s Indie” would it play on the preferred device while I invoked the playing via another) and b) what will be the quality of the music playing via the Echo device?

• Seth says:

I control my Echo from my Alexa app on my Android phone. I have and Echo, Tap, and Dot. I can control each one independently.

• Scraps says:

How. What is he purpose of the Tap and Dot. I have the echo n Dot. . The Dot does not have the sound at all..maybe thats why it is 49.00.

• Jeff says:

The Dot can be connected to another bluetooth device and I believe your stereo system at your house as well. The Tap is a portable Echo that doesn’t need to be plugged into a wall socket

• Joe says:

I don’t know what you mean. I’ve played music on my Echo Dot. It doesn’t sound great, but it works.

• Scraps.jayne says:

• Neil says:

You can access basic control via the Alexa app on your phone etc. You can jump to songs on an play list, pause, repeat etc. Where the system falls down is integration with the Amazon music app and searching.

If you open Amazon Music, it will tell you what’s playing on the Echo. And while you can search the database within the app, you cannot create a playlist (on the echo-only subscription) or add songs to the current playlist.

So if you want to play something specific (my recent experience was the Moana soundtrack), you can search for it in the app to see if its available, then you need to ask Alexa to play it. At this point the Echo failed my family completely, it does not recognise ‘Moana’ (and I expect it will struggle with other unusual words). We have had days of trying to get the soundtrack to play, with only one success and having heard every Nirvana song going.

Perhaps the lack of a txt search is to encourage users to upgrade, but I think we will be switching back to Spotify soon, the app integration there was much better.

• RedSix says:

The answer is no. You cannot pay for the unlimited, and play the same music on other dots in the home. They just released an update to allow for music sync to other Dots, but this would not affect the ability to access the unlimited version. At least so far in my experience.

I was really hoping when I paid for it, that the unlimited would allow to play the music on all Dot devices. Unfortunately, it is limited to that one specific serial number dot device.

2. mGuest says:

When you sign up for an Echo-only plan for Music Unlimited, can you still use Prime Music on a FireTV?

• Christopher Loughrey says:

Yes, you can. You’ll have access to Prime Music via all the other devices but will be limited to the songs in Prime music

3. Earl says:

I expect this still makes sense for a lot of people. What percentage of Echo owners have more than one after all? (Even if Amazon does push a “six-pack” of Dots in your face.) All in all I still plan to go with the $80 a year sub.

4. Christopher Loughrey says:

The Echo plan is perfect for me as I only use Prime Music on the Echo as I have a big music collection stored on the phone. I’m interested to know what it will be available to the UK and what the price will be in Pounds. They really should have had this wrapped up and had it released on the same day as the Echo was released in Europe, that would have given people more of an incentive to buy the Prime on release month.

• Christina says:

Do you have to have amazon prime to have the echo only plan for music unlimited? All we want is a way to play tons of music on one amazon echo and want to spend the least possible. We don’t already have prime and don’t want to get it if we donot have to. So is the echo only plan the way to go or am I missing some thing where you do have to have prime to have that for the 3.99 a month?

5. Christopher Loughrey says:

Interesting. I’m trying to sign up to the Echo plan in Ireland via the Echo set up as a US Echo and it won’t let me, it says there is a problem with my payment method despite accessing it from a US server. It seems Amazon has restricted it for use with a US credit card, something they haven’t done with their Prime subscription.

• Lynn Lava says:

It’s almost a year later now and I’m in the USA and I’ve had Echo plan since Jan 2017. Amazon has been taking my monthly payment automatically yet I received an email from them today that says they can’t renew my subscription & to “update”my payment method. When I try to do that, I get a message “there is a problem with your payment method” with a link to “update”. I click again in the link and it just keeps going around and around back to original “problem…” I just spent an hour on the phone with someone who doesn’t have English as their 1st language who tried to make me change a setting that I turned off 5 years ago (one-click payment). That setting was off when they took my payments successfully for the past 9 months yet they are insisting it needs to be on to collect my monthly payment. (this is one rep who kept putting me on hold to get directives from someone else who obviously can’t be bothered to get on the phone with me, their customer..I mean, at some point you need to take charge when your rep can’t fix the issue, right?) So my portable phone began beeping to signal low battery & at that point I’d had enough so with apologies I said I’d had enough & also need to get to work. I thought this would be a quick call…lol Nice to see that I’m not crazy as I believe they think I am…

• Gerg says:

Hey, I have been searching all over for the issue, but found the solution to the message: “There’s a problem with your payment method”

I use the echo in Hungary, no VPN or proxy or anything. What you need to ensure is that you are set up for the same country everywhere. So for example: Address has to be in UK, you need to use amazon.co.uk to link with your account, set echo up as in UK. I use a UK card too, however I don’t know if that affects the process. 1-click payment has to be set up too with that account, for the UK address. Hope this helps, it took me dayd to figure this out.

6. Dan says:

So they want us to put an echo in every room, but charge for services per echo rather than per account or per family like most other Prime services. Sounds like another reason to switch to Google Home.

• Christopher Loughrey says:

3.99 for just one Echo is very reasonable for getting 10 dollars worth of songs on it. That’s just a dollar a week for 10 million songs. It’s only 7.99 for the service to use it on all devices, which is a lot cheaper than you’re going to get Google Music for.

7. Mr_Missile says:

Think of the pricing this way.
    Pay $4 for one device (if that is all you have).
    If you want to add a second device (after all, who doesn’t have an Echo, a Tap (or two), a Dot, and/or ordered a 6-pack of new Dots???), pay another $4 for the second device, and as a BONUS, you can add for FREE the rest of your devices. That is good economy in scale. Linear pricing model for 1-2 devices.

Now, if only they could work out/enable a way to play the stream through multiple devices at the same time. Whole home audio = Party Mode!

8. Mary D. says:

After reading this article I called Amazon again about the Echo plan and “single” Echo. I have two. Today Louie at Amazon told me that the plan is tied to one Echo, but you can easily switch the plan from Echo to Echo through the “Manage Your Devices” page on Amazon’s web site.

• Jan Aug says:

I looked everywhere in My Account and My Devices and found nothing to accomplish a transfer of an Echo-only Unlimited Music subscription (currently on my Dot) to my new Tap. Before canceling the subscription and starting over, I decided to contact Help – turns out that’s what you have to do. They issue a ticket and at some point a day or two later, the transfer should be done.

9. Texas says:

Will the plan ever change from $3.99 a month?

10. Julie Folley says:

we bought one dot and were hooked. Every family member will have one now in their room. Although he dot does have a small speaker, we purchased inexpensive bluetooth sound bars for each one. I love that you can set alarms for the morning, reminders, etc. Amazing for my teenagers who love to play online games back and forth with Alexa too!

11. Alyssa says:

I got an Echo Dot for Christmas and started the free trial for Music Unlimited. I currently use it on my Dot and my phone. When the trial is over and I stick with the $4 Echo plan, I won’t be able to use my phone to listen to the music, correct?

Also, music I have bought and are stored on the Amazon cloud.. Can I listen to that through my Dot if I choose not to pay for the service?

12. I purchased the Echo Dot for Christmas. I just received my March bill and now it has $100.37 added to my bill. I had parred up the Dot with My Boise soundlink at Holiday time. I don’t need Prime, I do very little Amazon shopping. But, where does that leave me with my music from the Boise soundlink?

13. Rob says:

$3.99, for me, is an incredible deal. Everything I asked that they play they’ve had. I live with my Mom who is not interested so the price is fantastic. Plus on my Dot, with a speaker, I can still play music through Prime music and the various apps, like iHeart radio, Tunein, Pandora etc. for example. It’s awesome.

14. I figured out how to easily switch the 3.99 plan from one of your devices to another. You upgrade to the 7.99 plan. Then go to the device you want to have the 3.99 plan and say on that device “Alexa, downgrade amazon music”

15. Mark D says:

Can you create and save playlists on the echo £3.99 plan. Also could you take your echo away on vacation and connect to a hotels wi fi and access your echo plan and playlist.

16. Lynn Lava says:

After successfully taking my monthly $3.99 payment for unltd music I use on my Echo, I got an email today (with live link which is a no-no) from Amazon saying they are unable to renew my subscription until I update my payment method. I went into my account (as I NEVER click on live links in an email no matter who from – shame on Amazon who confirmed they did send the email AND asked me to click on it!) Before I called them, I went to my account and sure enough, they had same info on my account so I clicked on the link there and so began an unending issue of constantly getting same message “there is a problem with your payment method”. Nothing has changed, my credit card on file with them is the same & exp date is the year 2020. No matter what I do, I keep getting back to same message with no ability to move forward. So after an hour on the phone with Amazon rep (who got directives from someone else, putting me on hold several times) I had to get off & go about my own work day. I don’t know what’s up with Amazon, but maybe they are getting too big for their britches? I’m going to let the Echo music subscription expire as I hardly use it anyway. Such a PITA and a loss of an hour with fix for Amazon’s issue (which rep kept saying was my problem, not theirs…Really? Seriously?) I hope more people call with same issue as their renewals come up as only then will they realize they’ve got a bug in their billing/collecting software re unltd music on the $3.99/month accounts!

• Gerg says: