Amazon’s $3.99 Echo-only plan for Amazon Music Unlimited is litterally for a single device

alexa-echo-dot-tap-mute-unmute

Amazon Music Unlimited, the new stand-alone music streaming service from Amazon, launched this morning with an enticing $3.99 per month option for Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Amazon Tap owners. The catch though is that the $3.99 plan can only be used from a single device. That doesn’t mean a single device at a time, but rather, it literally means only a single Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap can access the Amazon Music Unlimited library.

To sign up for the $3.99 Amazon Music Unlimited plan, you have to say “Alexa, start my Music Unlimited free trial” to an Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap. The device which you start the free trial from will be the device that has access to Amazon Music Unlimited when the free 30-day trial ends. Even if you start your trial through Alexa, you will have access to Music Unlimited from all devices during the free trial.

After the 30-day free trial is over, if you try to play Amazon Music Unlimited songs from an Alexa device other than the one you used to sign up for the service, you will be told you need to upgrade to the full music plan to play music on that device. There is no option to add multiple $3.99 plans to a single account. If you want to listen to Amazon Music Unlimited from more than one Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap, you will have to sign up for the $7.99/mo ($79/yr) Prime plan or the $9.99/mo non-Prime plan.

The Echo-only plan is not available to other Alexa enabled devices, like the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. You will need to be subscribed to the full plan to listen to the Amazon Music Unlimited library on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, whether it’s through Alexa or through the music app.

You can check and make changes to your music subscription settings on this page. It’s unclear at this point if you can switch an Echo-only plan from one device to another. I’ve reached out to Amazon for clarification and will update this post if I hear back.

You can say “Alexa, downgrade/upgrade Amazon Music” to move from an Echo-only plan to a full plan, and vice versa. When you ask to downgrade your plan, Amazon’s documentation says “music streaming will be limited to your preferred device.” Since there is no way, that I can find at least, to designate a prefered Echo, Echo Dot, or Tap, it may just mean the device you are currently speaking to, so upgrading and then immediately downgrading through a different device may be the best way to switch an Echo-only plan to a different device.

1. anjenaire says:

What I would want to know is a) can I set it up on one Echo device and control it via other devices (i.e. if I say “Alexa play Prime Music Station 90’s Indie” would it play on the preferred device while I invoked the playing via another) and b) what will be the quality of the music playing via the Echo device?

• Seth says:

I control my Echo from my Alexa app on my Android phone. I have and Echo, Tap, and Dot. I can control each one independently.

• Scraps says:

How. What is he purpose of the Tap and Dot. I have the echo n Dot. . The Dot does not have the sound at all..maybe thats why it is 49.00.

• Jeff says:

The Dot can be connected to another bluetooth device and I believe your stereo system at your house as well. The Tap is a portable Echo that doesn’t need to be plugged into a wall socket

• Scraps.jayne says:

• Neil says:

You can access basic control via the Alexa app on your phone etc. You can jump to songs on an play list, pause, repeat etc. Where the system falls down is integration with the Amazon music app and searching.

If you open Amazon Music, it will tell you what’s playing on the Echo. And while you can search the database within the app, you cannot create a playlist (on the echo-only subscription) or add songs to the current playlist.

So if you want to play something specific (my recent experience was the Moana soundtrack), you can search for it in the app to see if its available, then you need to ask Alexa to play it. At this point the Echo failed my family completely, it does not recognise ‘Moana’ (and I expect it will struggle with other unusual words). We have had days of trying to get the soundtrack to play, with only one success and having heard every Nirvana song going.

Perhaps the lack of a txt search is to encourage users to upgrade, but I think we will be switching back to Spotify soon, the app integration there was much better.

2. mGuest says:

When you sign up for an Echo-only plan for Music Unlimited, can you still use Prime Music on a FireTV?

• Christopher Loughrey says:

Yes, you can. You’ll have access to Prime Music via all the other devices but will be limited to the songs in Prime music

3. Earl says:

I expect this still makes sense for a lot of people. What percentage of Echo owners have more than one after all? (Even if Amazon does push a “six-pack” of Dots in your face.) All in all I still plan to go with the $80 a year sub.

4. Christopher Loughrey says:

The Echo plan is perfect for me as I only use Prime Music on the Echo as I have a big music collection stored on the phone. I’m interested to know what it will be available to the UK and what the price will be in Pounds. They really should have had this wrapped up and had it released on the same day as the Echo was released in Europe, that would have given people more of an incentive to buy the Prime on release month.

5. Christopher Loughrey says:

Interesting. I’m trying to sign up to the Echo plan in Ireland via the Echo set up as a US Echo and it won’t let me, it says there is a problem with my payment method despite accessing it from a US server. It seems Amazon has restricted it for use with a US credit card, something they haven’t done with their Prime subscription.

6. Dan says:

So they want us to put an echo in every room, but charge for services per echo rather than per account or per family like most other Prime services. Sounds like another reason to switch to Google Home.

• Christopher Loughrey says:

3.99 for just one Echo is very reasonable for getting 10 dollars worth of songs on it. That’s just a dollar a week for 10 million songs. It’s only 7.99 for the service to use it on all devices, which is a lot cheaper than you’re going to get Google Music for.

7. Mr_Missile says:

Think of the pricing this way.
    Pay $4 for one device (if that is all you have).
    If you want to add a second device (after all, who doesn’t have an Echo, a Tap (or two), a Dot, and/or ordered a 6-pack of new Dots???), pay another $4 for the second device, and as a BONUS, you can add for FREE the rest of your devices. That is good economy in scale. Linear pricing model for 1-2 devices.

Now, if only they could work out/enable a way to play the stream through multiple devices at the same time. Whole home audio = Party Mode!

8. Mary D. says:

After reading this article I called Amazon again about the Echo plan and “single” Echo. I have two. Today Louie at Amazon told me that the plan is tied to one Echo, but you can easily switch the plan from Echo to Echo through the “Manage Your Devices” page on Amazon’s web site.

• Jan Aug says:

I looked everywhere in My Account and My Devices and found nothing to accomplish a transfer of an Echo-only Unlimited Music subscription (currently on my Dot) to my new Tap. Before canceling the subscription and starting over, I decided to contact Help – turns out that’s what you have to do. They issue a ticket and at some point a day or two later, the transfer should be done.

9. Texas says:

Will the plan ever change from $3.99 a month?

10. Julie Folley says:

we bought one dot and were hooked. Every family member will have one now in their room. Although he dot does have a small speaker, we purchased inexpensive bluetooth sound bars for each one. I love that you can set alarms for the morning, reminders, etc. Amazing for my teenagers who love to play online games back and forth with Alexa too!

11. Alyssa says:

I got an Echo Dot for Christmas and started the free trial for Music Unlimited. I currently use it on my Dot and my phone. When the trial is over and I stick with the $4 Echo plan, I won’t be able to use my phone to listen to the music, correct?

Also, music I have bought and are stored on the Amazon cloud.. Can I listen to that through my Dot if I choose not to pay for the service?

12. I purchased the Echo Dot for Christmas. I just received my March bill and now it has $100.37 added to my bill. I had parred up the Dot with My Boise soundlink at Holiday time. I don’t need Prime, I do very little Amazon shopping. But, where does that leave me with my music from the Boise soundlink?

13. Rob says:

$3.99, for me, is an incredible deal. Everything I asked that they play they’ve had. I live with my Mom who is not interested so the price is fantastic. Plus on my Dot, with a speaker, I can still play music through Prime music and the various apps, like iHeart radio, Tunein, Pandora etc. for example. It’s awesome.