Amazon will reportedly bring unprompted notifications to Alexa

Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant may soon gain the ability to speak without first being asked to speak, according to The Information. Currently, the only way for Alexa to make any noise without you speaking to it is to alert you of a timer or alarm you’ve set. Developers may soon have the ability to trigger push notifications in Alexa Skills that audibly, through spoken words, and/or visually, through the Amazon Echo’s light ring, notify you of something. This could be a very powerful new feature if executed correctly, or a very annoying feature if abused by developers. The Information hasn’t revealed any details about how the feature will pan out, or whether it will come to all Alexa-enabled devices like the Fire TV or new tablet, so we’ll have to wait and see.

1. granman says:

If this is true it would be HUGE! And will vastly increase the usefulness of the Echo/Dot/etc in a home automation setup.

Course the big question is how true is this story from “The Information” site. They don’t cite any sources, they don’t provide any details and when you look at their own About section they state, “…How we compete is simple. We recruit the best reporters, give them the freedom to write about important topics and tell them not to worry about the small stuff.”

Small stuff??? Oh, you mean like not bothering to quote sources or get reliable confirmation on things you post?

But, the value of Alexa gaining the ability to trigger push alerts (either by sound or the little light ring) would be huge to me so I sure hope it’s true.

2. TechyChris says:

So… “verbal ads”??? I’m not sure I like where this is heading.

3. AM says:

Would love this with SmartThings integration…my immediate implementation of:
    – Door Chime when any door opens
    – Spotify playlist begins playing when someone arrives
    – Alarm sound if system is armed and door opens.

4. Ujn Hunter says:

As long as it’s able to be turned off. I don’t need Alexa to start talking and wake up my son from his naps.

5. Powarun says:

I was wondering about this when setting up an Emergency response system for cable boxes. FCC wants all cable boxes to tune to a certain channel when an emergency happens, more or less for a global catastrophe or tornado alert. And was thinking, would the Echo do something similar, broadcast an emergency alert, since thats the only thing right now I would want it to do unannounced.

6. pmcd says:

As long as there’s an option to turn it off, except possibly for emergencies, this might possibly be ok. Still don’t like the ads creeping into my Fire TV.