Amazon sold over half a million Fire TV devices globally during Prime Day

Now that Prime Day is over, Amazon has released some figures for the big sales event. Comparing this year’s announcement to last year’s announcement reveals that over 500 thousand Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks were sold globaly yesterday. Amazon is notorious for not divulging sales numbers for any of their products, but last year they said “hundreds of thousands of Fire TV Sticks” were ordered during Prime Day and this year they said they “sold over 2.5x more Amazon Fire TV devices compared to Prime Day last year.” Assuming “Fire TV devices” includes all Fire TV and Fire TV Stick types, and “hundreds of thousands” means at least 200,000, multiplying that base figure by 2.5 translates to at least half a million Fire TV devices sold this Prime Day. Amazon said the Fire TV Stick specifically was the best-selling device globally on Prime Day, which is a repeat of the same accomplishment from last year’s Prime Day.

Amazon also said that the Amazon Echo had its “biggest day ever” and sales were “up over 2.5x compared to [the] previous record day.” That’s impressive since, presumably, the previous record day was Black friday last year, when the Echo “was the #1 best seller across all $100+ products on” As a whole, orders during Prime Day this year “surpassed Prime Day 2015 by more than 60% worldwide and more than 50% in the U.S.,” so it’s probably safe to say Prime Day will continue being an annual event for years to come.

1. clocks says:

Nice! Dollar for dollar, FTV is the best bang for the buck out there when it comes to streaming devices.

Personally, I’d like to see a new stick come out. The box is probably powerful enough to avoid another refresh for a year or two.

2. scofield says:

this is insane :-)
    i am wondering how much from the half million was for kodi and how much for netflix…

3. Osc000 says:

I hope cable companies learn their lesson and learn that we are not going to take it no more they cannot dictate what we have to pay for cable and there bundles bs or else i have over the air antenna which I install right where the dish was for DirecTV and now i get 39 local hd channels FREE and i have 2 fire sticks and 1 box and 1 nvidia shield im saving $172 per month total of $2064 per year now i used that for extra Christmas Gift for my kids

• Crystal says:

I cut the cord about 3 years ago and haven’t looked back. I just ordered one of the fire sticks this article is talking about but I do currently have 3 Roku boxes, a Minix android tv box, Chromecast and HD antenna. I have friends now wanting me to help them so they can turn off their cable tv too.

4. Jrizza says:

Kodi sold that

• Reality says:

Hi, Reality here, bringing you a dose of myself. Kodi users would like to think they are a majority of the market when they are a fraction of the Amazon streaming device market.