Amazon Music no longer allows customers to upload their own songs

Amazon is getting rid of the music storage aspect of their streaming music service. Amazon says that, as of December 18th, customers can no longer use the Amazon Music app for Mac or PC to upload their own music files to later stream through Amazon’s apps and devices.

Amazon has long offered a free and paid option for customers to upload their own music to Amazon’s cloud. Doing so allowed customers to stream those songs through Amazon’s various apps and devices, alongside tracks that were purchased from Amazon or including in one of their music subscriptions. The free option allowed customers to upload up to 250 songs, while the $24.99 per year paid option allowed up to 250,000 songs to be stored.

While customers can no longer upload new songs, they’ll still have access to existing uploads for a while. Those who are using the free option will still be able to stream their upload tracks until January 2019. Those who are subscribed to the paid music storage plan will be able to continue streaming their music for as long as they continue paying the annual fee. If the storage plan is allowed to expire without being renewed, you will not be able to re-start the subscription and will permanently lose access to all stored music.

Music that customers have purchased through Amazon will remain accessible. This change only affects tracks that were imported from a PC. If you’re looking for a new way to access your own music through Alexa devices, mymediaalexa.com and mypodapp.com seem like viable options. Plex also has an Alexa skill that you can use and there are unofficial skills that can play music uploaded to Google Play.

1. tech3475 says:

Son of a b****, I just subscribed for this and was in the middle of uploading.

Guess I better put in a complaint.

• tech3475 says:

A little confused because according to the page:
      Paid 250,000 Song Storage Plan

So I’ll still retain the ability to upload through the app?

• Todd says:

Free subscriptions lose the ability to upload immediately. Paid subscriptions will still retain the ability until the end of their subscriptions and at that point will be unable to upload. Both will still be able to listen to uploaded music until Jan 2019.

2. Tom says:

Put your music on a memory card and put it into you Fire Tablet. It will play on Echo thru Blue Tooth.

• AR says:

LOL yeah after you initiate playback with the tablet which eliminates the purpose of having a voice controlled speaker

i wonder if this has anything to do with the recent Google talks
      GPM lets you upload millions of song for free i think ,hopefully they are not going to be removing their uploading as well

• Todd says:

I doubt it. I would think it has more to do with people uploading pirated music.

• cheryl jones says:

You can upload 50,000 songs to Google Play Music. I uploaded music to Google years ago. I just got a Google home mini over Thanksgiving and while i can ask it to play my music from the original songs i had uploaded it will not recognize anything I have uploaded in the last couple of weeks. So maybe Google going the same way.

• bb says:

Interesting. I’ve observed the same behaviour with GPM. Older uploaded songs play, newer one give ‘not available in your area’

• cheryl jones says:

The work around is to put the music in a playlist. Yesterday i uploaded a cd of barry white. Asked for the album and asked for individual songs and no go. Put the entire cd into a playlist called Barry White and google home could play it and play it in order of the album. the word next worked. However I cannot ask for a specific song within the playlist.
            I have 2 million free songs with Prime so I am happy with alexa but there are some specialty albums that i had put in the free 250 song upload. I am going to miss that.

• bb says:

Workarounds for a multi-billion outfit? Not acceptable! Worse still, they claim it works, then refuse to admit that it’s a mess.

The Google fan-boys on the so-called Help Forum do their best, but I suspect they are as much in the dark as anyone else. Google should change their motto from ‘Do no evil’ to ‘Do nothing’.

• Scouser73 says:

That’s also happened to me, but when I’ve rephrased the song I wanted playing, it did it.

3. OG Charlie says:

Complete bullshit. If they don’t reverse this, my Echo and Fire TV are going bye-bye.

• Todd says:

Wow. You sound like a real winner.

• OG Charlie says:

Listening to my music is the main reason I bought a Echo.

I’m not going to keep hardware that’s been crippled. I’ll sell it and get most of my money back.

• hegemon13 says:

How is the hardware crippled? Just use a different service, like Plex. You have a year to figure it out. Calm down. Amazon has no obligation to provide you with storage for your personal MP3 collection. I’m surprised they got by with it as long as they did without running into contract issues with the labels.

• OG Charlie says:

I won’t be able to use voice command to play my music. That’s crippled.

Plex or anything else also doesn’t have voice control and I’m not obligated to keep their hardware if it doesn’t do the thing I purchased it for.

• hegemon13 says:

Um, Plex does have voice control. Through Alexa. And it plays through the Echo directly as of a couple months ago. I use it frequently.

And while you’re right that you’re not obligated to keep it, calling it crippled hardware is kind of silly. It’s a software feature you want that Amazon no longer offers. It has nothing to do with hardware.

• Kmh65 says:

Or he’s just taking advantage of the beauty of capitalism & competition by voicing his opinion with his pocketbook

• OC Point says:

I completely agree. What a waste. They don’t bother updating there website and they pull the plug? So I went through the hassle of downloading the amazon music app thinking I could get 250 songs uploaded. Only to find out I can’t. What a waste. Never again amazon. Never.

4. Joe says:

Very against this Amazon. I don’t trust steaming and this is just another reason not to trust big companies with letting me access music or videos I already have on my computer somewhere else. If I recall there’s a hack to get Google Music on the Fire TV.

5. jaaem says:

Thanks for the mymediaalexa link! I’ve been looking for something like that. $5 a year is worth it for a simple solution that only took a few minutes to setup.

6. EZ says:

Regarding the 250,000 song paid membership, I may be reading this wrong, but on the Amazon site it states “While you remain a paid member, you retain the ability to upload music and renew your subscription.” It also says “New subscriptions will be accepted until January 15, 2018. You can upgrade your Amazon Music storage plan, until that time.” It sounds like if you already have the paid plan (and don’t let it expire) you are ok. If you don’t have it, now is probably the time to get it before 1/15/18 and it is no longer an option. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

7. wolfmanbass says:

This is so stupid. There must be a legal reason for this change. I have moved all of my music over to Amazon as i spend most of my time in the Amazon ecosystem, i have multiple Fire TV devices, Echo’s and Fire Tablets. This may push me towards an alternative (Google or Apple).

8. TechyChris says:

I think the uninformed public really needs to understand the legalities of cloud based media, not just music but photo and video as well. You NEVER REALLY OWN or have COMPLETE control over anything you upload to ANY SERVICE, be it Amazon, Google or whomever.

You may think you have control just because its “yours” but you are at the financial, legal, and political whims of any corporation. They can and will do what they want to do in THEIR best interest.

For Example, I laugh (to myself) when I see consumers “purchasing” cloud based movies for convenience(and the “coolness” factor) assuming they will own them for life… time to rethink that! Still they only way to have complete control over your music/photo/video is to have PHYSICAL MEDIA, old school? Yes, but safe.

9. TechyChris says:

You may think you have control just because its “yours” but you are at the financial, legal, and political whims of any corporation. Example, I laugh (to myself) when I see consumers “purchasing” cloud based movies for convenience(and the “coolness” factor) assuming they will own them for life… time to rethink that! Still they only way to have complete control over your music/photo/video is to have PHYSICAL MEDIA, old school? Yes, but safe.They can and will do what they want to do in THEIR best interest.

For

10. Ujn Hunter says:

While I’m relieved to hear that as long as I continue to keep my subscription, I can continue to upload and play all of my music. However this still pisses me off knowing that Amazon (or any shitty company) can and will put something in your hands only to take it away whenever they feel like it. This, the Cloud Drive, and other services and it’s wrong. I’ve spent hours and hours (10’s? 100’s?) organizing and uploading my entire music collection because Amazon and their Echo devices (which I’ve purchased specifically for my music collection mind you…) were the ultimate way to play my music anywhere I wanted to be. After this, Google may be a better option? How do you use Google on the Echo?

11. Dave Scarpa says:

you cannot use goole on the echo, other than just playing via blutooth

12. Michael says:

Google changed their music playing not long ago, because last year I could play my music with “ok Google” on my phone. Now it doesn’t work. I have to do it manually on my phone and then it plays. Amazon Alexa is driving me nuts also. My wife has the Dot on her account. But Prime is my account and she is a family member. She cannot play Amazon Prime music and must “change account” to mine to do so. And if I want to play it, the voice recognition won’t do it, I also must “change account”. This voice thing is still in its infancy it seems.
    Maybe someone will come up with a skill to work with Box.com or Dropbox and we upload our music that way to play?

13. Plex have introduced an Alexa skill for streaming music from a Plex server to the speakers on an Echo. It’s pretty new and it looks like it’s buggy as hell, but I’ll probably opt for that — I’m using Plex for everything else these days.

14. Ronski says:

Just wasted half an hour trying to work out how to upload music, shame Amazon hasn’t updated their own guides!

15. Paul T says:

Absolute cack. So my dj mixes are no longer available. Now i have to put up with Alexa’s piss poor voice recognition to find something i wanna hear which sometimes takes 10 goes.

16. Paul T says:

And another thing how about adding albums selection on the android app? Or better still a search bar to find something you want. The app is so poor and doesn’t take a genius to fix it

17. Jp says:

Sad face Some people had actually used this as workarounds to run scripts through Alexa. But I think Alexa has other ways of doing most of that stuff now