Amazon introduces new Fire TV Game Controller with Voice Search and Headphone Jack

As expected, Amazon has also released a brand new Fire TV Game Controller along with the new Fire TV. The controller on its own costs $49.99 and is available in the US, the UK, and Germany. The new game controller features a microphone for voice-commands as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack to listen to the Fire TV’s audio privately. This new controller is compatible with all Fire TV models, including the existing first generation Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. However, the headphone jack will only work with the new Fire TV.

The new Fire TV Game controller comes with the game DuckTales: Remastered, a $9.99 value, for free. If you’re going to be buying both the new Fire TV and the new Fire TV Game Controller, you should absolutely buy the Fire TV Gameing Bundle. You’ll save $10 over buying the two separately and get a 32GB microSD card plus two free games, instead of one, for free.

This new controller is completely redesigned from the ground up. It connects to all Fire TV models via wifi direct instead of Bluetooth, like the old game controller used. Wifi direct reduces latency and significantly improves batterylife. Amazon says the new controller has intelligent power management which makes a pair of AA batteries last for up to 90 hours of gameplay without headphone use and up to 24 hours of gameplay with headphone use. Gone are the dedicated media buttons from the previous model. Instead, you just use the joystick to control playback if you’d like.

Purchased alone, the new Fire TV Game Controller will arrive on October 22nd, but will arrive on October 5th if purchased in the gaming bundle. Do realize though that the gaming bundle does not come with the standard voice remote.

1. Steve says:

Disappointingly, they do not offer the gaming bundle in Europe.

2. Peter says:

I think that the ‘Gaming Bundle’ doesent give you the Remote also, so thats a kind of a deal.
    And also where is the Audio Out Port ‘gone’?
    Shouldn’t this supposed to be an (much waited) upgrade?

3. natebetween says:

Bummer…I thought the remote would come with private listening, not just the controller.

And if we buy the bundle, we don’t get the regular remote it looks like. So not a deal for those of us who need the regular remote unfortunately. As much as I like gaming occasionally, movie night using the game controller is a little odd… That’s too bad.

4. FM says:

interesting, the duck tales page says it is not compatible with my (old) fire TV and it is available for free of the underground program like other games too. Any reason why fire tv users need to pay for apps and can’t install the underground apps?

5. J says:

bundle comes with a game controller and no remote? id prefer the remote for movies as oppose a game controller..Dumb move Amazon

6. Stephen says:

Ordered the gaming bundle then canceled and ordered the regular one. The lack of remote is a deal breaker for me. I game some but I use it more as a media kodi streamer.

7. Katie B. says:

I bought the original gamer’s bundle for the first AFTV. I just went back and looked and they don’t specifically list the voice remote in that one either, although it was in the pictures and I did receive one. Has anyone actually confirmed that it’s not included with Amazon?

• Stephen says:

From website:
      Included in the Box
      Amazon Fire TV
      Amazon Fire TV Game Controller
      Power adapter
      2 AA batteries
      32 GB microSD card
      Quick Start Guide

If anyone hears otherwise let me know.

• Katie B. says:

Now that I went back and looked, the new one is called the “Gaming Edition” as opposed to a bundle. Not a good deal, unless you really don’t want the remote.

• clocks says:

Yeah, I would consider a bundle with both the remote and controller if it was priced right. Otherwise I will stick with the remote.

8. Eric J. says:

Do you expect that Amazon will drop the price on the old gaming controller?

9. Ujn Hunter says:

Looks pretty slick. Like the lovely original Xbox 360 controller. Good that it works with original Fire TV/Stick too, guessing it won’t work as a normal Android controller though for Fire Phone/Android Phones as it uses WiFi? Wonder how it works with original Fire TV/Stick? Lack of usable audio port hurts though, wonder why that can’t be implemented on the original Fire TV/Stick?

10. BH14 says:

I didnt like the old game controller. I really dig this new improved controller so i will probably get it. Nice that i can install all the games on usb drive too so i can save space.