Amazon increases their Prime credit card from 3% to 5% cashback

Amazon’s Prime Visa credit card has always given Prime members 3% cashback for purchases made on Amazon.com, but it has never been as good as the Amazon Prime Store Card which gives 5% cashback. That finally changes because Amazon has just increased the cashback reward of their Prime Visa credit card to 5%. This means you’ll earn virtually the same reward whether you use the credit card or the store card. The key difference is the credit card earns you reward points, which you then use during checkout on Amazon to pay for orders, while the store card automatically applies the reward as a statement credit each month. The credit card can also be used outside of Amazon, where it earns 2% cashback at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, plus 1% cashback everywhere else. The credit card also has the advantage of being used for Prime Now orders, whereas the store card cannot.

If you’re not a Prime member, the Amazon Visa credit card will still earn you 3% cashback on Amazon.com. Those of you who already have the credit card will automatically be upgraded to the new 5% cashback program, assuming you’re a Prime member. The card still comes with no annual fee, no reward caps, no foreign transaction fees, and several other perks.

1. M says:

I have been meaning to sign up for one of these for a long time but never wanted yet another credit card. Is this one easy to set up so that it AUTOMATICALLY pays in full every month? That’s the only way I’d want one – if I never had to worry about manually paying it off in full.

• Ryan says:

Yes, very easy to do on the Chase backed cards. I have all my cards set to autopay as that is the only way to go. I still pay them in full manually but I like the peace of mind that autopay gives me just in case I forget. (I’ll never forget, but I could be in a bad car wreck or something and be unable to pay, and yes, I worry about strange things lol)

I have other cards I want more than this though so I will pass as I have many other cards on my list to get. I love credit card rewards and every dollar I spend is on one card or another.

2. Erin says:

They should do what Target did with its Red Card and also offer a debit card version for folks who do not want another credit card.

3. clocks says:

Damn I just signed up for the store card a couple weeks ago. Probably would have opted for this instead if it was 5% at the time.

• Reflex says:

Store card has an advantage this does not: 6/12/24 month interest free financing on purchases above a certain amount. That is worth more to me in some cases. It also gets the 5% back, but it is applied to the balance of the purchase rather than as a credit to go spend.

• clocks says:

Personally, I would never opt for the financing over a 5% discount, especially in today “rate environment”.

• Reflex says:

I suppose it would depend on what the card rate is, the size of the purchase and what your planned payback schedule is as to which makes more sense.

• clocks says:

The only time I have ever kept a balance on a card is those 0% offers, and I invested the money for a profit. Given a “sure thing” 5%, versus the 0% financing, I will take the 5% discount every time. :-)

• Reflex says:

What if you are buying something you cannot pay off in a month or six?

4. clocks says:

So from what I can tell, there are now THREE Amazon rewards cards? The 5% Amazon Store card(non-Visa version), the old Chase Amazon.com Rewards Visa card, which is still 3% on their website. And now this Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card 5% Visa.

Or you are saying the 3% Chase card will turn into this new 5% Visa?

• Reflex says:

Yes, the old 3% card turns into the 5% card.

• David M says:

Correct, I have the “Amazon Rewards” Visa and got this message yesterday. They also state I will get an updated card in 2017 (assuming with the new name/logo).

Eligible Prime Members earn 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases
      If the Amazon.com account associated with your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card has an eligible Prime membership, you’ll earn 5% Back on purchases from Amazon.com. Eligible Prime memberships only apply to Amazon.com accounts (and not accounts on any other affiliated websites outside the U.S.) and may include, in Amazon’s sole discretion: annual and monthly Amazon Prime subscriptions and members of their Amazon Household (excluding Amazon Prime Video and invited guests of an Amazon Prime account), Amazon Prime Fresh, Amazon Family, Amazon Prime Student and trial memberships of Amazon Prime. Each member of an Amazon Household with an eligible Prime membership is considered to have an eligible Prime membership in their own right.

5. Michael says:

In order to turn my chase card to get the 5% i had to go into my account under manage payment options, click on the visa card. There was then a line that said something like “you could be earning 5% find out how!” and you click it and then enter your card number and it converts your account. The main benefit of the store card instead of the visa as I see it is for very large purchases in being able to get a 0% interest payment plan. I use the chase amazon card for normal amazon purchases to get the 3% (now 5%) in points, and use the store card for large purchases.

6. clocks says:

I was wondering why the card was so bland/ugly looking, but read on another forum that is is supposed to be metal.

7. Joe says:

Seems like there would no reason to go with “Store card” anymore unless I’m missing something

• Shane says:

I guess the store card benefit is it still will credit your account vs the Visa card is just rewards you spend later. Get your money now or use it later basically. For that reason I guess I stick with the store card.

8. Purple lady says:

The Visa rewards card isn’t just credit to spend later. I regularly apply it to my credit card balance.

9. Jim says:

If I new this cc doesnt have foreign transaction fees of $150 I wouldve used it in China damn it!!

10. EJ95835 says:

The Amazon Chase card is my carry around card. I use it for everything except 5% points for gas via Chase Freedom or Discover Card (2 quarters per year). Used to use it for Amazon purchases until I got the Amazon Store card.

I learned about the upgrade here, then received email directing me to Chase Mobile app Message Center notifying me of switch. I verified the upgrade on Amazon “shop with points” page. Now there’s no need to use the Amazon store card unless I want the “same as cash” benefit. Now I’m happy.