Amazon Fire TV Stick on sale for $34.99 — All Week Long [Expired]

Amazon has just put the Fire TV Stick on sale for $34.99. This is the 2nd-generation “Firestick,” as people have come to call it, which is the newest version. This sale is expected to last all week. While this $5 discount is just an “Okay” price on my Amazon Device Buyer’s Guide scale, the Fire TV Stick has not been on sale since Black Friday 2016, so if you’re looking to buy the Stick at a discount, you shouldn’t hesitate because who knows when we’ll see it on sale again. Amazon notably did not put the Fire TV Stick on sale during Prime Day in the US, so there’s no guarantee we’ll see it go on sale this Black Friday in November. Other retailers are matching Amazon’s sale price, including Best Buy, Target, and Staples.

1. clocks says:

I hope new hardware is coming soon. Not that my FTV2s are not doing a good job. I’d just like a new toy to play with.

• AFTVnews says:

There will very likely be new hardware released later this year (more on that soon ;-) ), it’s safe to assume the Fire TV Stick will not be replaced this year.

• clocks says:

I prefer the boxes anyway. I use them every day, and it is worth paying a few extra bucks for the fastest/best performance.

• Nate says:

Elias, I remember when you wrote the article on the mystery mid-range hardware (http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazon-to-release-new-mid-tier-fire-tv-model-with-4k-hdr-and-android-7/); by the looks of things, is this still the release game plan for Amazon?

Just curious as to the specs of the new device that we may see. Like clocks was saying, my AFTV 2 boxes are performing just great and can’t see much reason to upgrade if the specs are slower overall, even if the new devices come with Nougat and 4k capabilities.

• AFTVnews says:

Based on the information that is currently public, it seems like 4K@60fps and HDR support are the only advancements we can expect as far as raw power is concerned.

That’s not to say that there won’t be other advancements not revolving around raw power. I hope to have more on that soon. Stay tuned.

• Geeum says:

I’m confused, do you think there will or won’t be an update this year. I’m still on AFTV stick v1, wondering if I should get the v2 or wait for a v3.

• AFTVnews says:

I think there will not be a v3 of the Fire TV Stick released this year. There will be one or two new models released, but the current Stick will stay. The new model(s) will be more expensive than the current Stick. If you don’t care about 4K or HDR, then buy the current Fire TV Stick during this sale.

• Geeum says:

Hum, but the 4K/HDR, will that be in a stick? or the full size box?
            I’m committed to the stick because of its portability. If a 4K stick is coming, I’d rather have that.

• AFTVnews says:

I think the AFTN will be in between a Stick and a Box in size, but closer to a Stick. My guess is it will have an HDMI plug attached, instead of an HDMI port that you need to plug a cable into.