Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is arriving early for some customers

The all-new Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K will officially be released tomorrow but some customers have already received their pre-orders early. AFTVnews reader Mike M. is one of those lucky customers and big thanks to him for providing these photos that give us our first look at the new box. Let me know in the comments below what questions you have about the new Fire TV Stick 4K and I’ll do my best to answer them once my pre-orders arrive.

1. Xiaolei Chen says:

Thank you!

I would like to know how the performance compares with 2nd Gen Fire TV and the fire tv cube. Some benchmark results would be awesome.

Also, is there any chance the new remote works with 2nd Gen Fire TV, even with limited functionality. I don’t need all the equipment control capabilities. All I need is IR blasting for turning on/off TV and volume control.

• Rich says:

Says it won’t work with 2nd Gen Box, crazy that it will work with 2nd Gen stick but not the box.

• Xiaolei Chen says:

I know officially Amazon says the remote doesn’t work with 2nd gen fire tv box. But I am hoping they mean that not all functions work.
      Also could you please test if the new stick runs hot under load?

• Rich says:

I just had the remote ordered (replacement for a defective one, they gave me a $30 credit to order it so I chose the new one).

The new remote pairs with a 2nd Gen Box but does NOT prompt the hardware control setup nor did it activate the hardware control settings icon. It will control the Fire TV just like the older remote though.

2. I am interested in knowing if the quality of the HDR/Dolby Vision videos on Fire Stick 4k is on par with smart tv built in app or better or not so good. The reason I ask is, HDR videos of Prime Video app on Roku Streaming Stick+ is not very good and they lack details/not so good color reproduction compared to Smart TV app. Just curious to understand how will Fire Stick 4k perform in comparison to Smart TV app on color reproduction, brightness etc.

3. Joe says:

Yes, performance numbers would be cool.

4. Terri says:

Would like to know what all you need to use the fire stick right now I’m using antenna to watch tv.

5. BobR says:

Curious what if any equipment control feature differences there are versus the Cube particularly when using the Cube’s remote (2nd gen) for voice control as opposed to hands free. The Cube has an IR extender, and I don’t have to point the remote, but otherwise is there any other advantage?

• Mikep says:

You don’t need to point the remote on any fire tv device.

• BobR says:

I paired the new 2nd gen remote to the Cube. It appears that the new buttons (power, vol, and mute) only work from the remote’s IR. So you need to point it at the TV. I was hoping that the Cube would also emit IR when those those buttons were pressed.
      Still hoping that they add the ability to power on cable and TV from the power button like most TV and cable remotes

• BobR says:

UPDATE after factory resetting the Cube I noticed in the Equipment controls Advanced settings there is a volume and power buttons selection where you can choose whether the volume, power and mute buttons’ IR signal comes from either the new remote or the Cube. This avoids any conflict with the Cube and avoids line of sight issues in Cube mods. The default Is the new remote.

6. clocks says:

I love that the second they arrived this morning, I immediately got an email from Amazon welcoming me, etc.. It was literally like 2min after UPS dropped them off.

7. konch says:

service, eh?:)

8. clocks says:

The new stick has some heft to it. I’m finally giving up on work today, and unboxing.

9. Gary says:

The important question is…as Netflix has the most DV and atmos does it handle Netflix Dolby vision/Atmos with auto frame rate switching ?

10. clocks says:

Love that they included a hdmi extender. The remote’s layout is perfect. It opens the opposite direction, and the battery stack rather than going side by side. Seems like a large redesign compared to how it has been.

11. clocks says:

The remote is a tiny bit shorter than the remote on the FTV3.

12. clocks says:

The circle on the remote is higher, more pronounced. The remote has a bit of a different feel to it. They def didnt just add a few buttons. Innards, buttons, physical length all different. On start up, an update in immediately available for the stick.

13. clocks says:

After the OS update, you get a quick remote setup for volume controls. Then you get the usually intro/tutorial vid. The OS for Elias or anyone that cares is version 6.2.3.2 (NS6232/1264). There appeared to be a software update first thing, yet the GUI shows last update as 11/20, so not sure what to make of that.

14. clocks says:

In MRMC, shows about 411meg of free memory of the 1.5gb without any video playing. GPU shows are Power VR Rogue GE8300.

15. cheryl jones says:

The tv my current fire stick is hooked up to is dumb and older. does not have the cec but the stick works fine on it. What i want to know is if the new stick will be able to control volume and turning my tv on and off.

16. Richard Vespoli says:

I received the new fire 4k TV stick today. Easy to set up, super fast, great picture, one thing that sucks is that I have my element fire TV connected to sound bar, and my new fire stick is connected to my element fire TV, so I can’t control the volume with the new remote since everything is connected to my sound bar??? Can anyone help