Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K gains Miracast screen mirroring with latest software update

The new 6.2.6.3 software update that is currently rolling out to the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K has added support for screen mirroring through the Mircast standard. This allows customers with compatible phones, tablets, and computers to wirelessly mirror their device’s screen to the Fire TV Stick 4K, as if it were an attached monitor. Screen mirroring support was available on earlier Fire TV models, such as the Fire TV Stick 2 and Fire TV 2, but was dropped when Fire OS 6 arrived on the Fire TV 3. This latest Fire TV Stick 4K software update marks the first time screen mirroring has been made available on modern Fire TV hardware and Fire OS 6.

The easiest way to enable screen mirroring on the Fire TV Stick 4K, or any Fire TV model that supports it, is to use the Fire TV shortcut menu. You bring up the shortcut menu by simply holding the home button on your remote for a few seconds. The shortcut menu will appear regardless of what the Fire TV is currently doing, so it works if you’re in the Fire TV interface or in a 3rd-party app.

It’s also possible to enable screen mirroring form the Fire TV’s Settings. This can be done by navigating to Settings > Display & Sounds and scrolling down to the new “Enable Screen Mirroring” option. It makes no difference whether you use the shortcut menu or the settings menu to enable the feature. Once enabled, the Fire TV will display a message informing you that it is waiting for a mirroring connection. Pressing any button on the remote will cancel the mirroring session.

For mirroring through this new Fire TV feature to work, the device doing the mirroring needs to support a standard called Miracast. Unfortunately, support for Miracast on mobile devices and computers seems to be disappearing. Apple devices have never supported Miracast and Google has dropped support for Miracast from Android 9 Pie. Windows 8 and Windows 10 computer usually support Miracast. Older Android phones and tablets that support Miracast will have an option to enable a wireless display in either the Cast or Display options menu. Select Amazon Fire tablets also support screen mirroring through Miracast.

Screen mirroring protocols that are most ubiquitous, like Google Cast and Apple AirPlay, are closed and proprietary formats. Google and Apple do not freely allow any manufacturer, like Amazon, to support those protocols, so this new screen mirroring option for the Fire TV Stick 4K will not allow you to use the Google Cast or Apple AirPlay functionality of Android and iOS devices. There are 3rd-party mirroring apps for Fire TV that add support for Google Cast and Apple AirPlay, such as AirReceiver, which is the one I use, but these apps are a bit flakey because they have to reverse engineer the closed protocols, so they never work quite as seamlessly as something like a Chromecast or Apple TV.

Follow me on Twitter (@elias) and Instagram (@esaba) to see what I'm up to.

1. Jabroni says:

All I ever wanted was a 4k stick root…

• and that’s just become possible somewhat recently too. there’s an article on the frontpage of this site talking about rbox releasing prerooted roms already.

—–

surprised to see Miracast return or even be mentioned in 2019.

didn’t windows always have weird connection issues? always saw complaints about it connecting but never displaying anything. probably resolution related. also, need to point out this requires compatible WiFi card on the source sending side as it’s a WiFi direct connection. WiFi direct never really seemed to catch on as much as Bluetooth.

Chromecast, airplay, and similar 3rd party casting apps will work over wired connections, or a mix of WiFi/wired connections. Miracast is WiFi-direct only and doesn’t use the router at all.

wonder if we’ll hear anything about Amazon fling support next. I’ve never encountered that existing anywhere.

also it’d be nice to finally get HDMI overscan adjustment instead of relying on the displays input being correct. (some displays are not very configurable..)

/end off topic barely related rambling.

2. InIrons says:

Hmmm I just upgraded and my version is Fire OS 6.2.6.0

But this is FireTV Cube but I imagine it wouldnt be any different than the Fire Stick. I would like to have that Miracast

3. Steve says:

Hey Amazon. 2012 called. It wants its technology back.

4. HeyRadar says:

Miracast is dead. Most phones no longer support it.

• Jon says:

Funny, but after all these years, the technology is finally mature enough for Miracast/Widi to work as intended.

I remember when my Note 4 would overheat trying to cast a video to my fire TV stick. It works great in a hotel room where you often want a wifi-direct connection so you can use your mobile network.

As mentioned, Samsung continues to support the technology, and it’s even built in to a number of smart TV’s, the Shield TV, Blu-Ray players, and Windows 10 PCs (with the right equipment).

Microsoft makes a decent Miracast adapter for traveling, but it would be nice if Amazon is able to add this back to the newer members of the Fire TV line.

5. Keith says:

I’ve been wanting a mirroring solution since 2014. There was briefly a 3rd party app that worked well and then it got pulled (forget why).
    Now if I want to cast I apparently need to get a phone running Lolipop or older. WTF Amazon?
    It’s like they’re trolling us.

6. hawkstead says:

Exactly.
    Elias, what ever really happened to Amazon Fling? Ask your insider operative agents.

7. Y314K says:

Has never worked for me on FireOS 5. Never gets detected.

Any chance the next stick iteration will be a 16GB or 32GB device. Sucks to always run out of space & would hate to have to use OTG since even when using USB3 sticks is slow on my FireTV 1 ? Not sure why the 4k Stick is still only 8GB internal device.

• AFTVnews says:

There haven’t been any leaks for upcoming hardware, so your guess is as good as mine. Since the Fire TV Stick 4K is such a rock solid device, I highly dought we’ll see an upgrade (like more storage) to it anytime soon.

8. Mike.g says:

I have the insignia tv with fire stick built-in is it possito to root it

9. Mean Beaver says:

Hallelujah!!!

10. Mean Beaver says:

Samsung phones support it. I was really pissed when the feature disappeared when I bought FS4K.

By the way, can you do a Disqus integration? This comments system sucks balls.

11. Tear Jerker. says:

This article is all wrong, they never removed it. They abandoned it on the 4k box and removed it from the website indefinitely. This was from the lack of development skills with amlogic. They falsely told users it’s coming, never presented it. As for the the latest update that all received there was a remote issue that loses sync….never fixed and since all users warranties are up they just claim to give support and send a bogus remote. All of this is to wait until your warranty is up….so they no longer have to support it. Scam for millions. Report the right thing please, its bigger than miracast and many 4k box owners can agree.

12. Joe D says:

Wonder if they will bring Miracast back to the Fire TV 2 box.

13. Frank Nitty says:

Works like a charm on my Asus Zenfone 4 (ZE554KL). For anyone w/ the same phone model as mine, here’s how you access display mirroring:

Settings > Connections > More > Cast

14. MarcTGFG says:

Do I understand this right: This is about casting the content of the FireTV stick to other devices?

But what about the other way round, casting the content of my Win10-laptop or other devices TO the FireTV stick?

15. Henri says:

Casting on 4k stick appears to work with Cast on my OnePlus running pie.

You sure this is miracast? Thought miracast was out on pie???

16. Cov2Five says:

Just bought an Apple TV due to not being able to arrange apps easily in the way I want. Suck it, Amazon.