Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV 3 are receiving software update 6.2.6.0

A new software update is currently rolling out to the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, and the Fire TV 3 (pendant). This update carries version number 6.2.6.0 and a build value of NS6260/1840. This updated is essentially the Fire OS 6 version of the 5.2.6.9 software update that has been rolling out to Fire OS 5 devices, which are the Fire TV 1, Fire TV 2, Fire TV Stick 1, and Fire TV Stick 2. I’m told these updates are not rolling out to any Fire TV Edition televisions at this time. Like the 5.2.6.9 update for older models, this 6.2.6.0 update for newer models removes the ability to move apps on the home screen / app grid screen and replaces it with a new pinning option.

To learn more about the new ability to pin apps and channels on the home screen, I suggest reading my post about the 5.2.6.9 software update. Essentially, you can no longer arrange the order of your app and channel icons on the home screen by moving them up or down the list. Instead, you can now pin apps to the front of the list. The ability to rearrange the order of your pinned apps will be added in a future update, but, for now, to control the order, you must pin the apps in the reverse order that you want them to appear, since the last app you pin is always moved to the front.

Other changes made by this update include the ability to force system app updates and a new “Auto” option for the Color Format option that is available on select devices. This update also adds support for Wi-Fi Simple Setup. I’ll be going over each of these additional changes in more detail in future articles.

Follow me on Twitter (@elias) and Instagram (@esaba) to see what I'm up to.

1. infinity says:

This update fixes the audio/video async of mostly about 180ms while watching prime content with “Auto Frame Rate Matching” enabled if having the Fire TV Stick 4k connected to an AVR. Finally… Was pretty annoying over the last couple of months

2. v3k says:

Did they add YouTube TV support yet?

3. Kurt says:

I hate the fact that I can’t put apps where I want that in a convenient way, I much rather the original way.

• AFTVnews says:

I’m told that the ability to move apps will be added back in a future update.

• Frank Nitty says:

Just download a home screen launcher and organize your apps in it that way instead. Everytime you access the launcher app from the “Recent” Apps section, all of the apps you installed will be available.

4. 2WhlWzrd says:

Are there going to be “Package Download Links” on this site for rooted users?

5. DELILAH GONZALEZ says:

Does this hopefully mean Alexa will be interactive like the dot and the other Alexa speaker. Cause for the Fire Cube Alexa is pretty limited on her capabilities or just pretty simple questions.

6. Roger says:

Someone claims the Recast now supports external drives. True?

7. Hondyboy says:

Yes, I’d really like for my cubes to support announcements when the TV is off. No reason they shouldn’t support this!!

8. George Shipley says:

What is the best player to use with this stick and what settings to i set.

• Frank Nitty says:

Video or Audio (music)? For “Audio” I either use the built-in one in ES File Explorer or VLC. For video it has to be MX Player Pro.

9. Joseph says:

I have fire cube and the remote batteries die in 2 days and I’m using brand name batteries will this update fix that problem?

• Russ says:

Sorry to hear that. I actually have 3 Fire Cubes, and the remote batteries have lasted. My first Cube, I got the day it was released and still have the original batteries in it.
      Have gotten the other 2 over time, and the batteries are still fine in those as well.
      I would contact Amazon, maybe your remote is bad?

10. Russ says:

I have the Fire Cube, and I just looked, yes I have the new update.
    Good news, all my apps are in the same place. So the issue of pinning apps is only if I want to add any new ones. Luckily, I think there aren’t any new ones I’m in dire need of.
    Hopefully they will get the next update out soon.

11. Kim says:

Off the subject but I bought the Cube because my cable provider,Suddenlink was on the compatible provider list. Come to find out they are not!!! I have to use my tv remote to change channels! Hopefully it will be added soon…very annoying!

12. Christer says:

My Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K will not be updated until the last 6.2.6.0. Should I do something special so that it gets it
    Christer

13. David says:

I still haven’t received the latest update for my Firestick TV 4K here in the UK either.

It sure is taking its time.

14. Bob says:

Anyway to block/ not allow this update

• Wayne says:

Probably too late for you now, but do a search–there’s a nice guide on the site that shows you how to block via your router

15. Y314K says:

@AFTVNews

– Have you gotten the FireTV 1 update FW link ?

– Has Amazon completely ruled out updating FireTV 1 FW to Fire OS 6 ?

Elias’s Latest Instagram