Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 supports USB Storage, Keyboards/Mice, and Ethernet Adapters via USB OTG without Root

fire-tv-stick-2-otg-usb-drive-ethernet-keyboard

Believe it or not, the setup you see in the above picture works. The Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 supports OTG USB cables out of the box without needing to root the device or change any configuration settings. What’s even more astonishing is that USB keyboards, USB mice, USB hubs, USB ethernet adapters, and even USB external storage all work perfectly with no extra effort or configuration whatsoever.

With the 1st generation Fire TV Stick, you had to root the device in order to modify a system file to get USB OTG cables working. That is not the case with the new Fire TV Stick 2 because OTG cables are detected out of the box on the stock 5.2.2.0 software. I connected my generic USB OTG cable to the Stick’s micro USB port, powered it on, and was able to use USB devices via the OTG cable’s full size USB port.

fire-tv-stick-2-usb-drive-detect

Connecting a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive resulted in the standard “USB Drive Detected” dialogue from the Fire TV box to appear on the screen. The external drive does not appear under the Fire TV Stick 2’s storage readout, nor are you able to move apps to it, but the drive is fully accessible from within apps.

fire-tv-stick-2-usb-otg-kodi

The USB drive is automatically mounted at the directory /storage/usbotg and you can access it from within apps like Kodi and ES File Explorer. You can also hot swap drives without any issues.

fire-tv-stick-2-usb-otg-wired-ethernet

Plugging in a USB wired ethernet adapter also worked without any configuration. However, not all USB ethernet adapters are supported. My Monoprice USB 2.0 Ultrabook Ethernet Adapter worked, but my HooToo USB 3.0 Hub w/ Gigabit Ethernet Adapter did not work. Additionally, even though the network settings correctly displayed as “Wired,” opening the network settings resulted in an empty panel with no way to configure the network.

I also connected several different USB mice and keyboards, including the much adored Logitech K400 Keyboard w/ Touchpad, and all of them worked perfectly. Lastly, I connected a simple unpowered USB hub and was able to connect all three peripherals: the keyboard, the flash drive, and the ethernet adapter all at once with all three working perfectly.

1. kilnvideo says:

excellent.

Amazon certainly is paying attention to the hobbyist crowd. hopefully their stewardship continues to be benevolent..

• Duder says:

You mean by just implementing everything Android TV has one by one? They already use the OS. May as well start allowing users to have some of it.

2. Darren1 says:

Do you think they will implement this on the 1st gen stick in newer builds?

3. Boudyka says:

U missed the power supply for the usb hub… :) She Canny take it Captain…..pop.

4. Duder says:

Wow, catching up to Android TV slowly.

5. DaveZ says:

USB tuner support on the way…?

6. Tony says:

Amazing news & great find, Elias! I wasn’t expecting this….now it’s more useful with greater flexibility.

Now I’ll definitely be picking up one of these before years end.

• Tony says:

I guess this leaves the only big advantages of the fire tv box being greater speed cpu/gpu and greater external storage of apps to sd card/usb storage. That’s not bad at all for an extra side room having streaming access to content.

7. ronnie says:

usb mouse doesn’t work,

8. Fjtorres says:

How about NTFS external drives under Kodi? Visible/accessible?
    It’ll determine how many I get.

• AFTVnews says:

Honestly, I didn’t even bother checking because NTFS drives don’t work (without root) on the Fire TV box. The support is just not present in Android, so there’s really no reason Amazon would add it in out of nowhere.

I’ll test an NTFS drive soon, but assume it didn’t work if I don’t post a reply within a day.

• Tony says:

I think, NTFS ext drives are mountable on Android based devices like FTV only with root access using root apps (eg. paragon NTFS)

9. Jeff says:

I saw this post so I gave it a go I hooked it up to my lap top using the supplied USB cable. ADB recognized the device I just uploaded all my apk files and my Kodi restore file in less than 2 minutes. Awesome!!! OH then I connected a first gen stick And I was able to do the exact same thing! Fire OS 5.2.1.1

• cdlenfert says:

This is not what the article is about. OTG and USB ADB are 2 different things. You’re doing the latter which has been supported for a long time if not always. First Gen stick still can’t do OTG without root modifications.

• Justin says:

Hey, could you tell me how you were able to get it to connect through USB to restore Kodi? I can’t, for the life of me figure out how!

10. Ujn Hunter says:

So… I’m a little confused… you say “My Monoprice USB 2.0 Ultrabook Ethernet Adapter worked” but “even though the network settings correctly displayed as “Wired,” opening the network settings resulted in an empty panel with no way to configure the network.” and then you say “Lastly, I connected a simple unpowered USB hub and was able to connect all three peripherals: the keyboard, the flash drive, and the ethernet adapter all at once with all three working perfectly.”

So the Monoprice USB 2.0 Ultrabook Ethernet Adapter works with your WiFi turned off even though you can’t configure the network? Or it just shows up, but doesn’t really work?

• kilnvideo says:

simply: the USB Ethernet adaptor works and automatically got a DHCP configuration from the network. if you need a static IP or to modify the DNS/gw/subnet there isn’t any way to achieve that currently.

the wifi is automatically disabled [probably..] while the other connection is in use.

• Tony says:

So the ethernet definitely works with FTV2 stick. cool.
        ….yeah I was also confused by what was meant about ethernet functionality.

11. Eshaq Choudhury says:

Anyone know when the fire stick 2 is coming to the uk?

12. CVO says:

Is there support to move Kodi files to USB drives?

13. Ray says:

How much power is being juiced out of that though? If we’re talking bout a standard 5v config for USB 2.0 split between 4/5 on a hub, you need like a 60w adapter.

14. Boogir says:

Will that be available to the firestick 1 or are they gonna make me buy new firestick?

15. chihuahua says:

Frankenstick!

16. Steven Jedrasek says:

Hi,I just did this with my firestick. I bought a 13 card reader that works fine. The stick detects the card being inserted and everything. Is there a way to use the MicroSD card as additional storage for apps?

Thanks guys!

17. Mike says:

Please help. I have a new Fire TV Stick 2 running OS 5.2.2.0. I clicked your links and purchased the exact OTG cable and Monoprice ethernet adapter. Hooked it all up to Fire stick and can’t connect to internet through the direct connection to my router. Tried with same hardware setup on my Windows tablet and works fine. Are there extra steps I’m missing, could it be something else? Many thanks.

18. glenn says:

what kind of usb hub did you use?

19. flappy says:

USB Ethernet also not working for me. Also get complaints about power…
    Using one of the “supported” OTG and Ethernet Adapters with FireTV Stick 2 on 5.2.1.1
    any clues? :(

• cdlenfert says:

If you look at the comments on the OTG cable that was linked in the article, people have a pretty mixed back of experience with them. Could be the cables themselves, or the devices they’re being attached to. I found 1 review that specifically mentioned Fire TV and theirs worked, but I’ll have mine soon enough to test (come on China, send my cheap gadget already).

20. miloa says:

Thank you for the great information. I love to read your articles regularly..

21. well described by you thanks for this information now i am out from the trouble.