Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 removes the option to adjust display size

stpuid-new-screen-calibration-message-fire-tv-stick-2

Amazon has made an unusual and unfortunate decision to remove the ability to adjust the display size on the new Fire TV Stick 2. If you navigate to the Display area of the Settings menu on the new device, there is still an option to Calibrate Display. However, selecting the option no longer brings up a prompt to press UP and DOWN to zoom the visible area in and out. Instead, static arrows are displayed with a message instructing you to “adjust the zoom or overscan setting on your TV.”

This is quite an annoying change to many customers, including myself, who have TVs that crop the edges of the Fire TV Stick’s video output, but don’t have the option to adjust zoom/overscan settings on the TV itself. It’s unclear if the removal of screen calibration will be limited to the new Fire TV Stick 2, or if a future software update will remove the option from all Fire TV and Fire TV Stick models. If you’re among the many Fire TV and Fire TV Stick owners who rely on your device’s built-in display calibration setting, now would be a good time to let Amazon know you don’t want the option removed and/or want it added to the Fire TV Stick 2.

1. Robert Theed says:

I wonder if maybe thy improved it so it isn’t necessary. I would hope so otherwise this is kind of silly.

• AFTVnews says:

I don’t know, but it looks like the calibration functionality is still present, but there’s a new Android Activity called VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity (com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity)

If the device were rooted, you may be able to restore calibration functions by running the adb command: pm disable com.amazon.tv.settings/com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity

• xnamkcor says:

Amazon improved all the existing Android apps? Amazon now streams all their HD movies with a 15% black border?

2. clocks says:

I wonder why Amazon did this. Seems like a huge blunder. I don’t think any of my four TVs have a overscan adjustment setting.

This essential can make or break the new stick, as it will be problematic on many TVs.

• wonko the sane says:

I think that it adds an extra CPU overhead to resize the screen for each frame.

Maybe the stick is already barely able to cope with the load and can’t cope with any additional.

When I had trouble with my FireTV box 1 they told me to reset the screen resizing so see if it improved matters.

3. Earl says:

I hook up computers to my HD-TVs. One older one (cheapo) didn’t have the ability to disable overscan, so I’ve ALWAYS made sure that any HD-TV I buy has that feature. Basically, overscan zooms the picture a little, which causes a distortion–a distortion which is VERY noticeable on a computer display. Any manual calibration done using a menu option such as with the older Fire TV Stick isn’t going to get you the same distortion-free picture that disabling overscan on the TV will get you unless you can do it precisely (which may not actually be possible to do manually). Every new HD-TV I’ve looked at for some years now has the ability to disable overscan, so this change by Amazon probably won’t affect a large percentage of users.

• wonko the sane says:

^Completely agree.

Sometimes the setting is called “Just scan”. I also haven’t seen any recent TV that doesn’t have it.

4. Ian Sutherland says:

They may have move the option to hidden section where u need a code

5. Ujn Hunter says:

This is a game breaker for me… I’ll have to return my new Fire TV Stick 2 if Amazon doesn’t fix this ASAP.

6. John C. says:

I just a live chat with Amazon customer support, per your suggestion.

And, the rep I spoke with said they had already received a lot of negative customer feedback on the issue. So, the rep actually made two promises to me.

1. Amazon is going to remove the screen calibration feature from the software for the original Fire TV stick and the Fire TV boxes.

2. He said they’ll also be working to restore the screen calibration feature to the software for the new Fire TV stick 2.

7. Mitch Dominguez says:

I was on the phone with them last night regarding this issue with two separate techs and they were going to send to software developers to add to the next update. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. Very annoying that the would remove something so critical which allows for best picture.

8. If you’re using the fire stick with kodi there is another bypass.

Go to system > video output > video calibrate. Then you bring the arrow down from the top left of the screen. (Use down/right). Push the center button.

Then you will have the bottom right arrow to calibrate and push the center button again. After that is subtitle area. After that it should be centered.

Hope this helps at least one person.

9. FireNeedsHelp says:

celebritygeckos.com, when I click Home, then go to Settings –> System, I do not see “Video Output”. Am I in the wrong spot?

10. Clockwork4168 says:

@FireNeedsHelp, On Kodi, go to SYSTEM -> Settings -> System (last option in list) -> Video Output. You’ll be able to calibrate the size as well as positioning of caption (if you use any).

11. Hye says:

IF YOU HAVE KODI, GO INSIDE OF IT TO FIX THE DISPLAY ISSUE:
    System > Settings > Appearance > go all the way down to “Settings level” and change that to ADVANCED. Next go into Skin and under “- Zoom” change it to what you need (e.g. -6% or 10%, etc). Yes, it can zoom into the negatives which is probably what you need to fix the display for your tv. Hope this helps!