Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 removes the option to adjust display size

stpuid-new-screen-calibration-message-fire-tv-stick-2

Amazon has made an unusual and unfortunate decision to remove the ability to adjust the display size on the new Fire TV Stick 2. If you navigate to the Display area of the Settings menu on the new device, there is still an option to Calibrate Display. However, selecting the option no longer brings up a prompt to press UP and DOWN to zoom the visible area in and out. Instead, static arrows are displayed with a message instructing you to “adjust the zoom or overscan setting on your TV.”

This is quite an annoying change to many customers, including myself, who have TVs that crop the edges of the Fire TV Stick’s video output, but don’t have the option to adjust zoom/overscan settings on the TV itself. It’s unclear if the removal of screen calibration will be limited to the new Fire TV Stick 2, or if a future software update will remove the option from all Fire TV and Fire TV Stick models. If you’re among the many Fire TV and Fire TV Stick owners who rely on your device’s built-in display calibration setting, now would be a good time to let Amazon know you don’t want the option removed and/or want it added to the Fire TV Stick 2.

1. Robert Theed says:

I wonder if maybe thy improved it so it isn’t necessary. I would hope so otherwise this is kind of silly.

• AFTVnews says:

I don’t know, but it looks like the calibration functionality is still present, but there’s a new Android Activity called VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity (com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity)

If the device were rooted, you may be able to restore calibration functions by running the adb command: pm disable com.amazon.tv.settings/com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.VideoOverscanCalibrationDisabledActivity

• xnamkcor says:

Amazon improved all the existing Android apps? Amazon now streams all their HD movies with a 15% black border?

• David L says:

I have a Toshiba. I went to Menu, Picture, Theater Settings, Picture Size, and chose Native. It now fits perfectly. The key to finding the correct setting on your TV is to toggle the settings while the display calibrate page with the arrows is being shown so you know when you have the right setting.

2. clocks says:

I wonder why Amazon did this. Seems like a huge blunder. I don’t think any of my four TVs have a overscan adjustment setting.

This essential can make or break the new stick, as it will be problematic on many TVs.

• wonko the sane says:

I think that it adds an extra CPU overhead to resize the screen for each frame.

Maybe the stick is already barely able to cope with the load and can’t cope with any additional.

When I had trouble with my FireTV box 1 they told me to reset the screen resizing so see if it improved matters.

3. Earl says:

I hook up computers to my HD-TVs. One older one (cheapo) didn’t have the ability to disable overscan, so I’ve ALWAYS made sure that any HD-TV I buy has that feature. Basically, overscan zooms the picture a little, which causes a distortion–a distortion which is VERY noticeable on a computer display. Any manual calibration done using a menu option such as with the older Fire TV Stick isn’t going to get you the same distortion-free picture that disabling overscan on the TV will get you unless you can do it precisely (which may not actually be possible to do manually). Every new HD-TV I’ve looked at for some years now has the ability to disable overscan, so this change by Amazon probably won’t affect a large percentage of users.

• wonko the sane says:

^Completely agree.

Sometimes the setting is called “Just scan”. I also haven’t seen any recent TV that doesn’t have it.

• Jim S. says:

How do you fix the scaling issue? I have 2nd generation stick and it’s not properly calibrated. Any information would be helpful.

4. Ian Sutherland says:

They may have move the option to hidden section where u need a code

5. Ujn Hunter says:

This is a game breaker for me… I’ll have to return my new Fire TV Stick 2 if Amazon doesn’t fix this ASAP.

6. John C. says:

I just a live chat with Amazon customer support, per your suggestion.

And, the rep I spoke with said they had already received a lot of negative customer feedback on the issue. So, the rep actually made two promises to me.

1. Amazon is going to remove the screen calibration feature from the software for the original Fire TV stick and the Fire TV boxes.

2. He said they’ll also be working to restore the screen calibration feature to the software for the new Fire TV stick 2.

7. Mitch Dominguez says:

I was on the phone with them last night regarding this issue with two separate techs and they were going to send to software developers to add to the next update. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. Very annoying that the would remove something so critical which allows for best picture.

• Josef Zeilmeier says:

As of today, April 16th, 2017, it’s still not available. They now blame the TV manufacturer for not having the ability.

8. If you’re using the fire stick with kodi there is another bypass.

Go to system > video output > video calibrate. Then you bring the arrow down from the top left of the screen. (Use down/right). Push the center button.

Then you will have the bottom right arrow to calibrate and push the center button again. After that is subtitle area. After that it should be centered.

Hope this helps at least one person.

9. FireNeedsHelp says:

celebritygeckos.com, when I click Home, then go to Settings –> System, I do not see “Video Output”. Am I in the wrong spot?

10. Clockwork4168 says:

@FireNeedsHelp, On Kodi, go to SYSTEM -> Settings -> System (last option in list) -> Video Output. You’ll be able to calibrate the size as well as positioning of caption (if you use any).

11. Hye says:

IF YOU HAVE KODI, GO INSIDE OF IT TO FIX THE DISPLAY ISSUE:
    System > Settings > Appearance > go all the way down to “Settings level” and change that to ADVANCED. Next go into Skin and under “- Zoom” change it to what you need (e.g. -6% or 10%, etc). Yes, it can zoom into the negatives which is probably what you need to fix the display for your tv. Hope this helps!

12. Kheang says:

New OS (5.2.4.0) came out and the interface is different looking. Sections selections are on top instead of on the left side of the screen. Screen calibrations is still has the same BS dialog about adjusting zoom or over scan settings on your TV. Lame.

13. Ben Winter says:

Confirming what Kheang says: the newest Firestick update did NOT fix this problem. This whole situation is very frustrating for those of us with older TVs.

So far I have been able to fix this issue *within Kodi itself* (see above, although the instructions are NOT always clear – in the latest build you need to look for “Zoom” under skin settings), does anyone know how to fix in other firestick apps like netflix?

14. Anon says:

Kodi fix works really well. Super frustrated though, as I don’t want to buy new tv(s) to get Fire Stick to fit on my screen.

I even have a flatscreen that will detect the mode, but for some reason the fire stick does not provide the right signal so I only get crop mode options. WTF?

15. John says:

If anyone knows anyways to fix Mobdro thatll be awesome. Btw thanks alot celebrity geckos.

16. Rob says:

You can adjust the screen in Kodi no problem, the issue I have is that even with the Smart TV I have, there’s no real zoom OUT option and the screen setup on my Fire stick is zoomed in too far. I really wish I knew this before I got it

17. Jaime says:

Ok, still not finding the fix in Kodi. I have Kodi 17 installed. I am in system, and there are many boxes for “settings”–player settings, media settings, PVR settings, Service Settings, Interface Settings, Profile Settings, System settings (which I thought it would be under, but I don’t see this video output). Someone please help! This is so frustrating!

• bailor says:

Jaime- it’s different for Kodi 17. In Kodi 17(I’m using the Confluence skin), go to System–>Settings–>System. Now, go all the way to the bottom where it says “Settings Level”. Change that setting to “Expert”. Now go back up to “Display”. On that screen go to the right under “Calibration”, click on “Video Calibration”. Here you can shift the screen by moving the blue lines (with the “arrows” buttons to the edge of top left of the screen. Then push the center remote button and it will take you to the bottom right of the screen to do the same. When you get that one to where you want it, push the center remote button again and it will present a box in the middle of the screen to adjust a box to a perfect square in your eyes. When you get that set to your preference, just back out, and you’re all set.

18. Lisa says:

Thank you for the step by step. Awesome to follow. Unfortunately it will not adjust my screen. I am bummed but thank you for your instructions!

19. Sandra says:

Lisa… On kodi, Go to system, settings, then scroll to Interface.. Click that. Then on the next screen with Skin selected on the left go to the right side… It will have Skin Look and Feel and the options.on the right side scroll down to the Zoom option there and select that then click as needed. Good luck!

20. David says:

This lack of a feature is most annoying indeed. I have a one year old Panasonic and it can’t adjust the picture in the required way. As such I’m now forced to miss about 10% of my picture. The old fire stick system of adjustment scores high, this scores very low, low e Pugh for me to now consider Chrome