Amazon Fire TV gains the option to disable HDMI CEC in new 5.2.4.0 software update

The new 5.2.4.0 software version for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick comes with a new option to disable HDMI CEC. For those unfamiliar with HDMI CEC, it’s a feature that allows the Fire TV and the television to communicate over their HDMI connection. The functionality available through HDMI CEC on the Fire TV is dependant on the capabilities of the television. For example, some TVs will automatically switch to the Fire TVs input when you press any button on the Fire TV remote. Some let you control the Fire TV using the TV’s remote control. For some people, these features are an annoyance, so it’s nice to see Amazon has added the option to turn HDMI CEC off. The new option is located in the “Display & Sounds” menu in the “Settings” section.

1. Keith says:

This will come in handy for some people. Not only is it useful when youve got more than one device but turning it off might solve some glitches brought on by older TVs with poor CEC support.

2. Graham says:

There’s actually more to this than just disabling CEC.

Previous versions would only send the CEC signal to wake the TV/switch input if the Fire TV had gone to sleep. If the box was still awake, the input would have to be manually changed. Now, the signal is sent every time home is pressed, sleep or not. This makes it far more reliable and predictable for those in the household that don’t care for pressing extra buttons to switch the input.

A very neat new feature :-)

• Ujn Hunter says:

Ah… makes sense… guess this is why I didn’t realize that it was “On” before by default, as I never “sleep” my Fire TV Stick. I’ll be turning this feature off now though as I’ve already got my Harmony Smart Hub doing all the heavy lifting of TV inputs for me. :)

3. gdroid666 says:

CEC is great but n my 2014 sony bravia i can not get home or menu buttons to work ,i forget if they work on my yamaha receiver or not ,not sure if it is a fire stick side limitation or a limitation of the TV or control device

4. militarybooks says:

We can’t get ANY sound from Fire stick, period. It is defaulting to HDMI-CEC, my TV is on HDMI 1, and DVR is HDMI 2.

But no matter what we cycle through on our tuner–no volume, period.

5. Sean O'Brien says:

I have logitech smart control device. My harmony remote was not working with the fire stick 2. I turn HDMI CEC in the setting on fire stick and now my harmony remote acts faster. I was losing conation with my harmony remote. Logitech says on the site for support to turn this off I didnt know it was on until I went into setting and turn this off.

• Tim Hunter says:

So are you saying that a setting on the Fire TV Stick 2 is causing connection issues with your Harmony Remote Hub? My Hub seems to turn Red all the time, so I have it hooked up to a remote switch that cycles the power for me when I need to. Are you saying Fire TV Stick 2 causes this? Or you just lose connection with the Fire TV Stick 2 itself and not the Harmony Remote Hub? Can you link to the Logitech support site that mentions this? Thanks.

6. Ty says:

I have a amazon fire stick no remote and new wifi ? I don’t know my old wifi details or I would change the settings to get it back up and running.. I can use the cec function on my tv but then when I press a button I just hear clicks from my amazon stick.. i have a bush smart tv and if anyone could help it would be much appreciated