Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick software update 5.2.4.0 makes first appearance

fire-tv-box-and-stick-update

A new software update, carrying version number 5.2.4.0 (build 565189420), just popped up on Amazon’s source code notice page. The update is currently listed under the 2nd-gen Fire TV and the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick. There is a very good chance this update will include the new revamped user interface that is expected to arrive by the end of the year. Amazon said the new interface would come to 2nd-gen devices first, so it makes sense this new software version is currently only listed under 2nd-gen devices. Fire TV 1 and Fire TV Stick 1 devices will get the new interface later this year.

I haven’t heard of anyone getting this new update yet, so I don’t know if it’s already rolling out. Be sure to comment below if you receive this update and let us know what has changed.

1. Dillard says:

The new Amazon (cough Android TV) interface.

Funny how Amazon is just riding off of Google’s work but is marketing better so they are more successful with their streaming devices.

• Jeck says:

I believe they were more successful because they lowered the cost of entry. Google’s boxes were good but much more expensive so fewer people wanted to test the water. Amazon has the Fire Stick and cheap tablets so they won.

• Duder says:

Failed? It’s not over dude. I think you are thinking of Google TV.

Android TV is very much alive.

• Duder says:

Excuse my last comment. Misread your post.

I agree with your point on pricing.

One thing about Android TV is that it’s kind of a silent killer since it’s included in some TVs and people don’t even realize it at purchase.

Android TV is still growing fast just not at the rate of Amazon’s.

• Dblaze says:

Google is HORRIBLE at making consumer friendly products. I once read someone say Apple makes the stuff approachable by the laymen because it’s really designed with them in mind. Where as google is made with the tech geek in mind that is why everything is very utilitarian in design and not user friendly.

Lots of google software/ideas are only partially thought out or developed. Like Google play music is a great idea but like the upload software is totally unfriendly. It tells you nothing that is actually matched, doesn’t allow you to know properly match things in the database so it doesn’t have to upload and just matches, it looks ugly, it hangs, gives little feedback. You can hit apply and nothing happens. They have a google music app but it works on Shield only as far as i can tell. Maybe an android box but i don’t see an app in the store. And the Shield one does F-all, it has no customization, it hangs, it plays in the background when you don’t want it too. I got it on my amazon stick and it does the same thing. Only a company that doesn’t care about looks and consumer features would think that is an adequate player for their own service.

Take the google play store app section. It makes no distinction between tv apps and phone apps. So when going through the store you can’t tell if it works with your device. Normally people would identify these problems and they’d be the first thing fixed to make it user friendly.

And take the early phones, the user interface was a mish mash: back buttons in some places not others. That’s because early on looking good and interface simply were not things they thought about.

• Steve says:

Sound like you have been under a rock – might wanna revisit Google play music as loads have changed.

• Dblaze says:

not at all, i’ve used it frequently, and have multiple apps on my phone. you may be talking about streaming stuff. i don’t use any of that and i’m not talking about that. i don’t care about that stuff inthe slightest. i’m talking about my own library files. it’s not a well done web interface or app. And the uploading software is garbage. no i’ve

• Duder says:

You are out if date and just rambling about stuff that’s not even relevant anymore.

The new Fire TV interface and app libraries are all bases on Android TV which you are complaining about.

• Dblaze says:

how am i out of date? i used google play music just today. lol. and it was relevant because Dillard above commented about amazon taking Google’s interface.

and you clearly don’t get that i’m talking about layout and organization issues in the google app store. Sorry this is over your head.

2. vulcan195 says:

Wow! Amazon has been slow in updating the FireOS. Think about it, they touted the 4K capabilities of this box when it was released back in 2014. Its been 2 years, and they have very limited 4K capable apps (beside the standard apps). One reason is, Amazon has made it difficult for developers to access the 4K capabilities of the box (eg. PlutoTV). I know one App developer that was given the run around when he tried to develop a 4K capable photo viewer. The native Photos app is only capable of displaying photos in 1920×1080 resolution. Think about that, a 4K capable box that could easily have its Photo app updated to support 4K still pictures … and Amazon has not bothered to do it.

• clocks says:

FYI – Amazon released it’s 4k box in December 2015.

• AFTVnews says:

October 2015 actually, but yeah, it hasn’t been anywhere close to 2 years.

4K app development on the Fire TV is definitely more annoying than it should be, but I don’t see that as the reason for there not being more 4K capable apps. There just aren’t enough 4K streaming services yet. Google Play, Vudu, Sony, and Fandago are the only ones I can think of that are not on the Fire TV. I’m sure it’s not Amazon that’s keeping them off the Fire TV, but rather they don’t want to be on for competitive reasons.

• clocks says:

The developer page is wrong then:

Device Release Dates

Device Release Date
          Fire TV Stick (Generation 2) September 2016
          Fire TV (Generation 2) December 2015
          Fire TV Stick (Generation 1) November 2014
          Fire TV (Generation 1) April 2014

3. Ichijoe says:

Is there enough Code in these Source Code releases, to actually do something useful like building AOSP? Or is this just enough Code so Amazon won’t catch to much heat, from the Community?

4. msb8408 says:

does this update include the new interface?

5. Leonardo says:

What about increasing internal storage by using microSD card?

• AFTVnews says:

I assume you’re talking about the Android feature that allows you to essentially use external storage as a full replacement to the device’s internal storage. That feature was added with Android 6.0, and since this new update still starts with a 5, it’s safe to assume it’s still based on Android 5. So no, it likely does not have the storage replacement feature.

6. LTM says:

Is the Fire TV 2 capable of using usb flash and hard drives for external media playback in the way that the new Fire stick 2 can. In other words, as long as the hard drive is Fat32 and can be mounted, you should be able to use it for media playback without any drive remove warnings. I successfully have gotten a seagate wireless plus 2TB (FAT32 formatted) full of media to run through the fire tv stick connected by usb with a three way connector and it works fine, but I just wondered if that applies to the Fire tv 2 as all my fire tv boxes are generation 1 and blocked from updates, so I was curious to know if the Fire TV 2 was as capable of using an external hard drive now as the stick 2 is.

• Jimmy says:

Yes it works with FAT32 usb drives.

• Leonardo says:

It works for external media playback, but what about apps installations (games)?. How can you install apps in the external drive? I can move from internal to external, but Data folders (e.g. OBB data files) should remain in the internal storage, right?. Or there is a trick to run it from external device?

• AFTVnews says:

Correct, data/obb files (anything the app downloads after it has been installed) cannot be moved to external storage, but the main app (the part that gets downloaded from the Amazon appstore) can be moved to external.

• AFTVnews says:

As jimmy said, yes, as long s the drive is FAT32 formatted, plugging it into the Fire TV 2 will mount it and make all files accessible from any application. It has been this way ever since the Fire TV 2 was released.

7. hawkerw says:

If I’m not mistaken is it true that even the 2nd gen Fire TV does not do true 4K with it’s HDMI 1.4? Isn’t it limited to 24fps?

8. Liam says:

Do you think this will include Alexa for U.K. Fire TVs?

I personally don’t really need it or that but would be cool to try it out and would be weird if they didn’t bring it to UK Fire TVs considering they do now actually sell Alexa enabled devices here.

• AFTVnews says:

I have no way to know, but I agree, it’s very odd they haven’t released Alexa to the UK since they now sell the Echo there.

Fire TVs in the UK do already have Alexa built in, but it’s disabled due to your Amazon account being set to the UK.

9. Randall Lind says:

It just ticks me off you pay $99 for a 4k box suppose to be the best. Then they break it by updating music so voice doesn’t work. Now they are taken their sweet time pushing an update to fix something they broke which was working fine until they broke it. I am waiting for the next Nivida Shield because it just ticks me off how Amazon treats it members.

What they should have done and not updated music by itself.The music update should have been a part of the UI update. By wanting to make more money off their prime members they broke their own product which was dumb.

10. wonko the sane says:

Agree. They ruined the music app. I don’t even use it anymore. I suspect that the new interface won’t make it better, it’ll just make everything else worse.

11. LotF says:

I am curious if this update will solve dolby atmos and dts:x playback issues for kodi/spmc. I think it is rude that the amazon product page states that it does support dolby atmos and then the kodi developers say it’s not supported due to amazon firmware.

12. Pete says:

I sure hope Amazon gets their heads out of their asses and fixes the screen calibration option that was taken off of the new sticks. Many older tv’s do not have the screen shrink options and the kodi ends up over the edge of the screen. Very frustrating. AMAZON FIX THIS NOW!!

13. Dan-o says:

I heard rumor that Amazon is thinking of blocking Kodi install/use on their devices. Will this update allow Kodi?

14. jcruz says:

My aftv is running 5.2.4.0.
    Yes, it has a new ui.
    Also, Kodi tv still works fine.

• Ulises A.Rodriguez, Ph.D. says:

jcruz, Thanks for letting us know that your aftv have received and is now running 5.2.4.0, that Kodi still works, and that the long-awaited UI is also included.

However, I would like to know in which model of AFTV, you have received this latest 5.2.4.0 update?

15. Nate Dawg says:

one of my boxes got it, one did not and can’t force update it either, won’t update, unless it’s rolling out individually to each box…..