Amazon Echo invitations going out in mass

amazon-echo-kitchen-counter-header

Amazon seems to have ramped up the rate at which they’re sending out invitations to purchase their latest product, the Amazon Echo. If you signed up for an invitation, check your email, or just click this link to see if the Echo is available to purchase for you. Based on a sudden shift in delivery dates, it appears the Echo is suffering from the same unexpected demand as the Fire TV Stick. Orders placed today are receiving estimated delivery dates in late-May, where as orders placed just last week were receiving delivery estimates in March. Let us know in the comments when you placed your order and what estimated delivery date you were given.

1. 100millionshiveringfurryholes says:

I got my invite on Jan 6th (purchased within the hour) and my ship date at that point was listed as February 23rd. On the Amazon site, that is still the delivery date (by 8pm).

2. Ludrus says:

I received the invite on 1/5 and received an estimated delivery date of 1/21.

3. WildeCard says:

I got my invite on January 6th. Luckily I had $30 in Bing rewards. my delivery date is estimated for February 18th.

4. Brian says:

I activated “hey Siri” on my phone and paired with my Bluetooth speaker… Within two minutes I realized how stupid this echo idea was (I was originally very intrigued and almost made an impulse purchase when I received my invite). I’m guessing most people will use it more as a speaker and to impress friends from time to time. Hopefully it will be able to activate commands on the firetv one day.

• AFTVnews says:

I agree. If you consider it a Bluetooth speaker first, with the voice features being a bonus, then it’s a great buy (at the $99 promo price). But if you’re someone who’s buying it primarily for the “digital assistant” features, then I think you’ll be disappointed.

I would be surprised if the next generation Fire TV didn’t include the same “digital assistant” features. I mean, the two devices have nearly identical remotes. They’re just begging to be merged into one product.

• Brian says:

Has anyone tried side loading a voice assistant or used “ok, google?” I don’t see any reason Amazon couldn’t add this functionality to the current Fire TV line, except that it would potentially cannabalize Echo sales. I wouldn’t necessarily want video to autoplay through voice commands but would like that option for music. why did the firetv now receive voice search support for heart radio or other apps like echo? Hope to see these things in future software updates. Do you have a running list of apps that support voice search on the firetv?

5. PHAMOS1 says:

I placed my 1/7 and my delivery date is 2/23

6. Dave Ninja says:

i ordered on the 5th or 6th and got a delivery estimate of 2/18.
    I signed up the first day it was announced. I really need a bluetooth speaker in my kitchen and the “chatting with a robot” part should be fun while drinking.

7. Billy says:

En masse, not in mass.

8. Tex says:

I got my invite but I won’t be purchasing. I love Amazon’s electronic products but I just can’t see myself actually using this.

9. gimmig says:

When will I see Echo in Europe/Germany? I can´t wait!

10. JOhn Deer says:

I checked the invite page, thanks, and it said my invite expired. I checked my email and never got an invite.

11. Peter says:

I got my invite and ordered the Echo on January 6th. My delivery estimate is February 11th.

12. Rick says:

Purchased on 1/5 and have a 1/21 expected delivery. Was back and forth for almost a week on whether to get it (when they sent an e-mail saying the invitation was set to expire). Glad I pulled the trigger; looks like it would have been significantly delayed had I waited. Wonder why they’re sending heaps of invitations if they’re 4-6 months behind on production? Shouldn’t the invitations align with supply being close to ready?

• Rick says:

Update – noticed it didn’t ship as of this morning, despite it still telling me to expect it today. Now they just changed the expected delivery to 2/4, so pushed out two weeks.

13. Russ says:

Ordered 1/6 delivery 2/11

14. AJPaterson says:

Unfortunately, it appears gmail filtered my 12/30 invitation into promotions and mine expired. Damn it! Back on the waiting list.

15. Shari says:

I ordered mine at the end of Dec. Due to a problem that Amazon could not handle in a change in the order, the order had to be canceled and then re-invited and re-ordered. I lost my first delivery date of 1/13. On the re-order it was a delivery date of 1/20. The site never updated until my 3rd call to Echo Customer Service on 1/20 with a new delivery date of 2/5!!! Now that has be updated to 2/3 (big difference right!). Really upset with how this has been handled and how I was never notified of the delay even though I contacted them on 1/19 to verify everything was on time and it was being shipped as I spoke to them on 1/19! Very poor handling from the fact that the order process can not be updated without canceling and re-ordering which looses your place “in-line” to no current updates on delays or even where it is in preparing to ship. Very disappointed in Amazon’s handling of rolling out this product. Now to hear they have “ramped up” the invites when they can’t handle what they already have is very upsetting.

16. John says:

I received my invite on December 20th, ordered it on the 22nd got my echo on the 24th.
    I was in the market for a Bluetooth speaker and that is my primary use, but the potential is there and hoping it will interface with Zwave devices in the future to do home automation.
    The speaker sounds great and I love listening to my favorite radio stations via my iheart radio. It is nice to just ask echo to play the radio station at X volume using only my voice.
    Echo has a ways to go, but I think it is a good start.