Amazon Echo Input, the Alexa device without a speaker, is now available to Pre-Order

The Amazon Echo Input has just become available to pre-order. This is the new $34.99 Alexa device that is made for those who want to use their own speakers but still have all the same hands-free capabilities as the rest of Amazon’s Echo line of smart speakers. For $15 less than the cost of the new Echo Dot, you essentially get the same kind of device, just minus the built-in speaker and in a much slimmer body.

The Echo Input has a 4 microphone array for hands-free Alexa. It connects to external speakers, which are required for it to work, through either a 3.5mm audio jack or Bluetooth. There is an action button on top, as well as a microphone mute button. Notably missing are volume buttons and an LED light ring, but there is a single LED light in the center.

The Echo Input is available to pre-order starting today for $34.99 and it will arrive on December 12th. Amazon is also including an Echo Input for free with the purchase of the iHome AV2 Speaker Alarm Clock ($67), the Anker Soundcore XL Portable Speaker ($70), the Bose Soundlink Revolve Portable Speaker ($200), and the Marshall Woburn II Wireless Speaker ($500). There are also dozens of speakers that Amazon has certified to work well with the Echo Input.

1. JFC says:

Not dumb at all.

I would have bought one if I hadn’t just picked up a refurb Echo Dot 2nd gen for about $20. Because, both of the now two Echo Dots I have at home are connected to and used with external (and much better quality) speakers/stereo sets.

I use my Echo Dots to listen to, and voice command, a lot of music. So having a lower priced voice command-only device, without the built-in speaker, would have great for my purposes. If the cheap 2nd gen Echo Dots hadn’t beat them to it.

• tech3475 says:

The only problem I see is if Amazon don’t lower the price of these with the same price difference whenever the Echo Dot is on offer (the latter regularly being on offer) or as part of some special offer like the ones in the article.

If given a choice between an Echo Dot or an Echo Input for the same price, the Dot seems like a better deal.

That said, I do think the LED ring should have been included.

• AFTVnews says:

I fully agree, but something I didn’t mention in the article is using the Echo Input as just an audio bridge to incorporate existing speakers into Amazon’s whole-home audio system. I can see people wanting a slim and discrete device that they permanently mute and tuck away so that they can tell their main Amazon Echo “play music in the living room” where “living room” is the name of their Echo Input that is connected to their hi-fi stereo system. In that scenario, I can see people paying equally as much for the Echo Input as the Echo Dot because they don’t want the bulkiness and bright LED ring (which would always be red) of the Echo Dot.

• Claudio Sergiacomo says:

It is indeed kind of expensive and the only way I would buy it would be if it does let the analog audio output to work with the sound equalizer because I have an Echo Dot and I change the adjustments of the EQ and it doesn’t affect the analog audio but just the internal speaker which I don’t need to improve due to the distortion of the tiny speaker builtin.

• Claudio Sergiacomo says:

Nobody seems to have the same issue as mine… I don´t have Bluthooth speaker so my Echo is connected via Analog Output so when the expected EQ feature arrived I was hopping to be able to adjut the audio source because my speaker amplifier has treble and bass adjustments and even tho I put them in full level it can deliver rich sound from the extremelly flat audio signals of the Echo. My frustration started when I went to adjust the EQ and nothing happened with the analog output sound quality… it stays the same and it is really frustrating because is like amazon decided no to apply EQ adjustments to external speakers

2. Paul W says:

Is this coming to the UK?