Amazon Echo and Echo Dot can now connect to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots

amazon-echo-dot-with-echo-front-forward

The Amazon Echo or Echo Dot have been unable to connect directly to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots unless a second device was available to facilitate the connection. This is because, to connect an Echo or Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network, you must transfer those network settings to the Echo or Echo Dot via a temporary Wi-Fi connection. If all you have is a phone that is itself the source of the Wi-Fi network/hotspot you want the Echo or Echo Dot to connect to, then you can’t both connect to the Echo or Echo Dot’s temporary Wi-Fi connection while also keeping the hotspot connection active. This is why, up until now, you’ve needed a second device to configure the Echo or Echo Dot’s Wi-Fi settings while the phone is emitting a Wi-Fi hotspot. A new Echo and Echo Dot software update, version 3389, has resolved this limitation and now allows the Echo and Echo Dot to connect to a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

Update

7/11/2016 The instructions for connecting to a hotspot have just went live. When setting up an Echo or Echo Dot, there is now an option to “Use this device as a Wi-Fi hotspot” in the Alexa app where you manually enter the network ID and password.

1. cdlenfert says:

I’m curious to know how it works.

2. ClamSlam says:

Man this could be sweet if you wanted to incorporate somehow into your car. You could just use phone mobile hotspot or in-car wifi as well

3. Ujn Hunter says:

If I could find an unlocked Android phone that allows tethering/wifi hotspot access… I’d be all over an Echo Dot for the car.

• Jeff says:

Just install FoxFi apk on your current android device

• Klue says:

How do I use foxfi with the echo? My phone won’t allow Wi-Fi and foxfi to be turned on 31st the same time, and the echo doesn’t connect with the Wi-Fi turned off. It also won’t recognize foxfi.

• Yogich says:

I’m on Boost Mobile (Sprint is parent company). It has hot spot capability, now, so I am pretty sure that more major carriers have it, too?

4. Jeff says:

Don’t both using the hotspot – contrary to the claims, the Echo Dot (in my case) does NOT reconnect to the hotspot automatically. Also, it fails to connect time after time – on initial set up, it took 15 attempts for it to finally connect to the hotspot. Once lost…had to start all over.

Not ready for prime time.

5. Bradie says:

Does the echo dot have to connect to wifi?

6. Michael L Hemsley says:

Doesn’t work. I have an Echo dot (2nd generation );Verizon generated name and password. Have been trying over the weekend (three days) without success.

7. Molly D says:

Good to know mobile wifi isn’t reliable. Been considering a dot and only have mobile wifi where I live. You guys saved me from frustration.

8. ann says:

I have bought an echo dot , can I connect it to my home WiFi , I don’t have an I phone to download an alexa app, do I need this

9. Yogich says:

I used my notebook, because my Android was giving me fits, with Alexa app. It didn’t work.

• Yogich says:

Someone please delete, this…I was replying to someone (& used the ‘reply’ button) and am nowhere near, the original post I was answering. Further, the text bears no resemblance to what I was saying.

10. Hi EVERYONE, IM SURE THIS IS A DAFT QUESTION, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THIS STUFF.i WANT TO BUY AN ECHO DOT, I STREAM MY INTERNET FROM MY NEIGHBOURS HOUSE ACROSS THE ROAD (YES THEY DO NO, AND I HAVE THE PASSWORD ETC) BUT WOULD I BE ABLE TO RUN ECHO OR DO I NEED MY OWN HOME HUB, THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME :)

• Spechter says:

Hi Ruth – It should work fine, assuming the WiFi strength is good enough. Perhaps start with the Dot as close as possible to the neighbours place to get the best chance of connecting.

From a technical point of view, there is no difference if the WiFi is in your place, or across the road.

That’s ignoring security issue of your neighbours snooping on your data, but I assume you trust them if you are already sharing.

Cheers.
      P.S. CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING ONLINE. Please try to use natural case. People will ignore you less. Trust me.

11. Martine Lemon says:

Hi .i dont hav wifi at my wknd caravan …so can i tether my fone 2 my echo 2 listen 2 my music..will this use a lot of my 3g monthly data…im only there on a sat…thanku ..