Amazon Echo and Echo Dot can now connect to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots

amazon-echo-dot-with-echo-front-forward

The Amazon Echo or Echo Dot have been unable to connect directly to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots unless a second device was available to facilitate the connection. This is because, to connect an Echo or Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network, you must transfer those network settings to the Echo or Echo Dot via a temporary Wi-Fi connection. If all you have is a phone that is itself the source of the Wi-Fi network/hotspot you want the Echo or Echo Dot to connect to, then you can’t both connect to the Echo or Echo Dot’s temporary Wi-Fi connection while also keeping the hotspot connection active. This is why, up until now, you’ve needed a second device to configure the Echo or Echo Dot’s Wi-Fi settings while the phone is emitting a Wi-Fi hotspot. A new Echo and Echo Dot software update, version 3389, has resolved this limitation and now allows the Echo and Echo Dot to connect to a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

Update

7/11/2016 The instructions for connecting to a hotspot have just went live. When setting up an Echo or Echo Dot, there is now an option to “Use this device as a Wi-Fi hotspot” in the Alexa app where you manually enter the network ID and password.

1. cdlenfert says:

I’m curious to know how it works.

2. ClamSlam says:

Man this could be sweet if you wanted to incorporate somehow into your car. You could just use phone mobile hotspot or in-car wifi as well

3. Ujn Hunter says:

If I could find an unlocked Android phone that allows tethering/wifi hotspot access… I’d be all over an Echo Dot for the car.

• Jeff says:

Just install FoxFi apk on your current android device

• Klue says:

How do I use foxfi with the echo? My phone won’t allow Wi-Fi and foxfi to be turned on 31st the same time, and the echo doesn’t connect with the Wi-Fi turned off. It also won’t recognize foxfi.

4. Jeff says:

Don’t both using the hotspot – contrary to the claims, the Echo Dot (in my case) does NOT reconnect to the hotspot automatically. Also, it fails to connect time after time – on initial set up, it took 15 attempts for it to finally connect to the hotspot. Once lost…had to start all over.

Not ready for prime time.

5. Bradie says:

Does the echo dot have to connect to wifi?

6. Michael L Hemsley says:

Doesn’t work. I have an Echo dot (2nd generation );Verizon generated name and password. Have been trying over the weekend (three days) without success.

7. Molly D says:

Good to know mobile wifi isn’t reliable. Been considering a dot and only have mobile wifi where I live. You guys saved me from frustration.

8. ann says:

I have bought an echo dot , can I connect it to my home WiFi , I don’t have an I phone to download an alexa app, do I need this

9. Yogich says:

I used my notebook, because my Android was giving me fits, with Alexa app. It didn’t work.