Amazon discontinues their press-to-order Dash Buttons

Amazon has decided to stop selling Dash Buttons, which were their programmable buttons that ordered a specific item when they were pressed, as reported by CNET. The buttons were $4.99 each but were often essentially free because Amazon credited most or all of their purchase prices back when they were used for the first time. Since most people interested in Dash Buttons probably already own an Alexa device, the buttons don’t serve the same convenience as they did when they were first launched in 2015.

Amazon says that existing Dash buttons with customers will continue to work. They just won’t be selling any new ones. They’re also going to continue to provide virtual Dash Buttons for those who like using them for single click/tap ordering. Virtual Dash Buttons are available on Amazon’s website, through their app, and on their devices, like the Echo Show.

Follow me on Twitter (@elias) and Instagram (@esaba) to see what I'm up to.

1. TechyChris says:

I wonder if this might also be tied to the fact that Amazon has been taking heat for adding to air pollution and are going to start asking prime members to select one day per week only for deliveries. Too many people are easily able to click a button , order a “widget” and have it delivered over and over again without taking into account the Co2 impact on the environment just to deliver that one item.

• Joe says:

The convenience far outweighs any impact. Order AWAY!

• Manabi says:

That one delivery day per week thing has been rolled out, but it’s entirely optional. They’re doing it to save money, but also because a lot of people were asking for it for various reasons. Two of the biggest were helping to lower carbon emissions, and being able to schedule a day you know you’ll be home to receive the package. I can understand that last one for people who have problems with people stealing packages.

I won’t be bothering with it myself, as I pay for Prime for the 2-day shipping, but I don’t mind it being an option for those who prefer it.

2. Shine says:

must be a result of the German court ruling
    Court says Amazon ‘Dash’ buttons violate German law

3. cdlenfert says:

I’m curious if the programmable developer Dash buttons are still available. I’d be interested in picking one of those up on the cheap if it can be used to do cool single purpose tricks.

4. tech3475 says:

I wonder how many people actually relied on these? I have one only because of a special promo and never used it since (considered it more of a liability until I deactivated it, maybe I’ll use it for a hack some day).

That said, I still chuckle from when I saw the ‘Echo Dot Dash Button’.

5. Jon says:

Honestly surprised it took them this long to discontinue them. The only way I have seen these used is for hacking/home automation. I am pretty sure openHAB even has native support for using these to turn on lights and such.

6. Len Mullen says:

Primitive predecessor to Alexa ordering.

7. Frank Nitty says:

Never knew these existed. I wonder how popular they were

8. MadMan says:

I honestly felt this was one of the dumbest, perhaps THE, things I have ever seen. A button for each and every item you want to order? Get out of here.

Elias’s Latest Instagram