Amazon Cloud Drive adds new native Dropbox-like sync feature

amazon-drive-sync

I’m a big fan of Amazon Drive and use it regularly, but the desktop software is a bit lackluster. Sure, you can use the software to upload and download files, but that’s pretty much it. Amazon has now added the ability to automatically sync files in your Amazon Drive with your computer. To achieve this before, you had to use a 3rd-party app like Odrive, or do what I do, which is let my NAS handle syncing and have it upload a copy to Amazon Drive. Now syncing capabilities are natively built into the Amazon Drive client.

The Amazon Drive software will create a new Amazon Drive folder on your computer which it will automatically sync, just like Dropbox. While you can select any folder in your Amazon Drive to be synced down with your computer, you unfortunately can’t select other folders on your computer to be automatically synced up. All files you want synced to your Amazon Drive and across computers must be in the sole Amazon Drive folder on your computer.

It’s also worth noting that any stray files in your main Amazon Drive root directory, that are not in a folder, will automatically be synced down to your computer. If you want individual folders in your Amazon Drive to be synced, you have to manually select them.

With an Amazon Drive subscription costing only $59.99 per year for unlimited storage, or now free for a year if you buy a specific hard drive, it’s a great solution for offsite backups. This new sync feature makes it even better.

1. Mark_Venture says:

It appears that the Amazon Drive app makes its folder under c:\users\[USERID]\Amazon Drive

Is there a way to move/change that? My “C drive” is a smaller SSD… so I’d rather put my amazon stuff in the “my docs” folder on drive D…

• Troks says:

This can be changed in the registry. You will need to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazon\Amazonclouddrive or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazonclouddreive. The registry key U are looking for is SyncRoot.

• AFTVnews says:

Great tip! I’ll have to see if a similar thing can be done in Mac OS.

• AFTVnews says:

I haven’t tested to see if this actually works yet, but it likely will.

For Mac, inside
          /Users/[YOUR_USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Amazon Drive/
          there is a file that ends in sync.db
          If you open that with an sqlite database reader you’ll see there is a database table named “files” with one entry that has the field “local_path”
          If you change that to be a different folder path, it’s likely it will change which folder is automatically synced.

Again, I have not tested this myself.

• Jeck says:

Very strange that I don’t have a HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazon*

I’m running Windows 10.

• Gilad says:

This method no longer works. There is not Amazon Registry under Software.

2. edw says:

this is the dumbest feature ever.. needs some kind of off switch

3. Christopher Loughrey says:

Odrive sucks as it won’t let you authorize a UK Amazon Drive. It defaults to the US site.

4. Nathan says:

About damn time.

5. Stephen says:

All I want is a convenient interface to upload and download files from any of my PCs to and from my Amazon drive. Fortunately, this new version has an option to use it like the old one and you can deselect all folders so it doesn’t try to replicate your terabyte of crap down to your local PC like Google drive does.