Amazon Cash makes shopping on Amazon without a debit or credit card easier — Free $10 credit for trying it [Expired]

If you don’t want to use a credit card, debit card, or purchase gift cards, Amazon Cash is a new alternative way to pay for purchases on Amazon. The way it works is you take a unique barcode linked to your account to a participating physical store. The cashier scans the barcode and you pay them any amount in cash between $15 and $500. That money then becomes available on your Amazon account as credit. Participating stores include CVS Pharmacy, Speedway, Kum & Go, D&W Fresh Market, Sheetz, Family Fare Supermarkets, and VG’s Grocery, with more retailers to be added soon. You can either print your unique barcode, or bring it up on a mobile device at the store.

To promote the new service, Amazon is offering a free $10 credit if you add $50 of Amazon Cash to your account. Just add $50 by May 31 and the free $10 credit will automatically be added to your account. The free $10 credit can only be used on digital goods like apps, e-books, digital movies, TV shows, music, and games. You’ll have until June 30 to spend the $10 credit before it expires.

1. D George says:

Is this a stupid product or what. Cash paper money(?), who carries that. Thats why I got a card to begin with. Amazon needs to understand the demographics of their customers.

• Wowzers says:

Some demos still carry around their wad of cash. Lower credit rating, mistrust, or even irresponsibility can all be reasons why cards don’t work for people.

• AFTVnews says:

It’s obviously not for most customers, but it’s still important.

To quote The Verge:

It’s an important move on Amazon’s part to better appeal to customers that don’t have access to bank or credit cards, which — per a 2015 FDIC report — comprise almost 7 percent of the country, (along with an additional 24 percent that are considered “underbanked”). It’s also yet another service that puts Amazon in contention with competitors like Walmart and PayPal, which both offer similar services for unbanked customers.

• Katie B. says:

I use cash for most local transactions. Helps keep spending under control. Dave Ramsey’s very popular financial program is based on a cash only envelope system. I imagine this would also appeal to teenagers who get cash gifts/allowance and want to spend it on Amazon.

If I owned a company like Amazon, I would want to reach as many potential customers as possible, whether they were the majority or not. This is basically just like buying a gift card in a store but without the wasted packaging of the physical gift card.

• JRock says:

Act your wage! So easy to spend money, especially online at Amazon. I like this idea of simply adding a cash value to Amazon. It’s harder to hand over cold, hard cash then it is a plastic card or online buttons. I get this probably isn’t the main reason Amazon is doing this, but I like the option.

• Beautiful says:

Wait till your hacked. Then you will understand.

2. Dave says:

Re: “You’ll have until June 30 to spend the $10 credit before it expires.”

Can you spend the $10 credit right away, or do you need to spend the $50 in Amazon Cash first before it will let you use the credit?

In other words, do I need to spend $10 – or $60 – before June 30?

• xnamkcor says:

“spend the $10 credit before it expires”

• AFTVnews says:

The $50 never expires. The $10 credit will be used first when making purchases, before the $50 is used. Remember, the $10 credit is for digital goods only. So if you add $50 Amazon Cash and get the $10 credit, and then buy a $15 movie, you’ll have $45 worth of regular credit left that never expires.

3. Beautiful says:

Beautiful! After being hacked I be as dark as possible. This is very good. My amazon account has been hacked into before along with other accounts, even with 2 factor on.

4. Ted Danson says:

Can you use this deal to buy, say, a PSN voucher on Amazon?

Example:

Load up $65 on Amazon Cash, get $10 free. Buy a $75 PlayStation Network digital card.

5. Jonny says:

Wait. So you go to the store, but you don’t actually buy anything? You just give them cash and they add it as a credit to your Amazon account? Sounds rather pointless and if you already have an Amazon account, then you likely do have a credit (or gift) card on file and are fine with using it for online purchases. Just kinda seems like a waste plus it would make more sense to use a machine instead of having to give/show your barcode to a cashier.

• Jonny says:

Actually, it would be useful if someone gives you cash in a birthday card or you have some filling up your pockets. It would be cheaper than buying a gift card because of the fees and tax.

• xnamkcor says:

I know? right? Who buys gift cards for digital services?

6. Wrecks says:

I tried this on Thursday. Printed out the bar code, took it to CVS. They scanned it and took my $50. It never appeared on my Amazon balance. Amazon says that CVS has to fix it, Amazon says CVS has to fix it. I’m getting nowhere.

I definitely would NOT recommend using the Amazon Cash service. It appears I’m out $50 for trying it.