Amazon announces new 2nd-gen Echo Show

Amazon has announced a new 2nd-generation Echo Show. The new model improves on the last model in nearly every way. It’s much better looking and has a front that is dominated by a large 10.1-inch HD touchscreen. It features premium sound through a pair of side firing speakers behind the display. It’s available to pre-order now for $229.99 in Charcol or Sandstone colors and will arrive on October 11th. Buying 2 at the same time will automatically take $100 off at checkout.

The new Echo Show two 2-inch speakers, a passive bass radiator, and Dolby processing that should make it the best sounding Echo device to date. The screen on the front has a resolution of 1280 x 800 and can be used in conjunction with the 5MP camera for video calls through Alexa or through Skype, which will be added soon.

The Echo Show now essentially doubles as an Echo Plus because the new model now has the same smart home hub capabilities built into the device. This means that it supports Zigbee devices, like Philips Hue bulbs, without needing an additional hub.

The new Show has 8 microphones this year with four along the front and four along the top. Also along the top are volume buttons and a microphone mute button. it still does not have an audio out port like the other Echo devices.

Amazon has made several software improvements to this year’s Echo Show. As I revealed earlier this month, Amazon Silk and Firefox browsers are coming to the device. This should allow users to once again access YouTube videos through the Echo Show. You’ll also likely be able to cast YouTube from a smartphone to the Echo Show as well, if Silk includes the same casting support that the Fire TV version recently added. Amazon has also worked with Hulu to add support for their streaming service in addition to Amazon Prime video. Also on board is access to Vevo for music videos.

The all-new Echo Show is available in either Charcoal or Sandstone colors for $229.99. Much like with the first version, if you order two Echo Shows at once, you’ll automatically receive $100 off your order. Amazon has also made an adjustable stand for the Echo Show for $29.99 that raises it up and makes it easier to use for video calls. For a limited time, Amazon is bundling in a free Philips Hue bulb with each Echo Show order.

1. Craig says:

Meh… 10″ is bigger than I would want in a casual setting for a smart display. I’m sure some people will be fine with it of course… But me? Meh. 10″ is kinda big. I’ll wait for the smaller 7″ or 8″ model. I like that the design is slightly sleeker and stylish but not enough to pay $229. Maybe when it’s $149 or so, I’ll seriously consider it.

2. hdmkv says:

Official YouTube still isn’t back on Show. And you can’t sideload apps, like Smart YouTube.

• Erin says:

Do FireFox and Silk browsers let you access YoutTube, like they do on FireTv devices?

• Nardo says:

Yes for the love of everything!!! I know why its happened, but this stupid war between Google and Amazon is so Anti-Consumer in the end. I loved being able to cast my YouTube videos to this, back when it came out. After they had there baby war with each other and YouTube capabilities was out. It has pretty much sat and done very little.

3. Erin says:

If the sound quality on this is good, I may have to seriously consider it for my kitchen.

• Hegemon13 says:

The HD 10 with Show Mode dock is a much better kitchen tablet. The speakers aren’t great, but I just have it paired with an HK Onyx speaker.

Show mode is still pretty limited, and I find myself using tablet mode most of the time to look up recipes, watch videos from any source, etc. Plus, it’s half the price.

4. TrashMan says:

Would love to be able to run apps on this like on my Fire Tablets. They do have some 5 month payment plans on this and some of the other new gadgets. I would have gotten it with the free bulb but the payment plan wasn’t available on that option…strange. Looking forward to future reviews and info on this and the rest.

5. AFTV Fan says:

Will there be a way to watch Netflix on this and will that mic mute button truly respect your privacy and not listen?

6. Dayton says:

Will Silk now work on the old Echo Show?

• Nick Hathaway says:

When they released Silk on Fire TV it went to all the devices. Even the first gen stick. So I would guess that happens for Echo Show as well.

7. Fred_EM says:

1280 x 800

oh my

We’re writing in the year 2018.

Never would I buy any entertainment product offering a resolution less then full HD with a 1920 x 1080 resolution.

• Stickman says:

With all due respect you would not notice a big difference on a screen that small a good example is that it’s hard to discern much of a difference between 720p and 1080 on TV screens 24″ or smaller, it boils down to physical dot size.