Amazon announces $34.99 Echo Connect speakerphone

Amazon today announced the Echo Connect, a $34.99 device that plugs into a standard landline phone line and allows Echo speakers to make phone calls to anyone. The device lets Alexa use your existing phone service and number to make calls through an Alexa-powered speaker and can even be used to call 911 using only your voice, in the event you’re unable to get to a phone during an emergency. When calls come in, your Echo devices will notify you and give you the option to answer hands-free. The Echo Connect is compatible with all of Amazon’s new and existing Echo speakers. It can be pre-ordered today and will be released on December 13.

1. clocks says:

Interesting………..I think.

2. Charlie says:

I’m not sure the phone calls are free and I think it uses whatever phone service you connect to it. I have a VOIP service that assume would work, but would I even want it at all?

I am still mostly looking for the flagship fireTV, though the dongle with an OTG Ethernet cable would at least be interesting. I do note the Ugreen dongle on Amazon has been getting more and more expense. I think it’s at 19.99 now.

3. Llyod says:

I wonder if I can plug this into the phone port of an Obi device that using Google Voice as a service?

4. AR says:

wow all these new devices , this looks good but a bit overpriced for amazon IMO

but the one device i am waiting for has not shown up yet
    i really want a CC audio like dongle device , you think they would have announced that with them just launching whole home audio
    oh well i guess they added calling 1st so this accessory should come before something for whole home audio

5. Fred_EM says:

“Echo Connect uses your home phone number,
    either landline or VoIP …”

NOW we are talking.

Let’s see what the tests say.

Too bad this device does not connect with a mobile phone via Bluetooth as well in parallel.

I’d prefer to use my mobile contract, as all calls are already covered.

6. Stephan says:

???
    In germany I would prefer that Alexa should support VOIP SIP. Why I should use something from the last century?

7. Holger says:

Yeah, SIP and a native (wireless) integration with Germany’s router darling “FritzBox!” (>50% market penetration) right from the start.

• Roy Starrin says:

Again, one needs a smart phone to set this up. For those of us who do not/can’t afford it, it is not usable. My original ECHO was a gift — a gift which keeps on costing$$$

• Stephan says:

???
        Nobody taks about smartphones, we talk about connecting the echo to the phoneline not over a hardware device, we want to have the ability to add a sip client in the alexa app

8. AJ says:

this seems cool, but how does it work with multiple phones, my wifes phone has numbers my phone does not, would you have to switch profiles, which would be a bit annoying I’d guess…

9. PhilipSH says:

This is for POTS (Plain OLD Telephone Service)

Connect your home phone to your compatible Echo device to call any phone number, using just your voice
    Echo Connect uses your existing home phone service to make and receive calls, including 911 and international numbers (carrier charges may apply)
    Easily sync all your contacts. Alexa syncs with your mobile phone contacts, so you never have to look up a number. Just ask and Alexa will make the call.
    *****************************************************************
    Simply plug Echo Connect in to your home phone jack, complete set up in the Alexa App, and you’re ready to make and receive calls on your compatible Echo devices
    *****************************************************************

So you will only be using 1 line and no more !!!!
    You sync address book via the web

*****************************************************************
    Echo Connect extends and is not a replacement for your traditional telephone service. Plug Echo Connect into your home phone jack or VoIP adapter
    ******************************************************************
    Noted from the link below:

So all POTS line only, not “VOIP” directly and Google Home will use your Google Voice number for calls via “VOIP” without extra costs to do this

10. James says:

Wow. I hope it comes to the UK. I won’t be replacing our old wireless phones; why bother when the landline is rarely used anyway? This will allow us to answer annoying landline phone calls without running round the house, whilst also (hopefully) improving on emergency call functionality. Let’s face it, assuming two adults in a household, it would be handy to have two adults with spare hands in an emergency rather than expecting one to be tied to the phone…now we need an Alexa security robot too…:)