Amazon announces Echo Input — An alternative to the Echo Dot for adding Alexa to existing speakers

Amazon has announced the Echo Input. It’s essentially an Echo Dot but without the built-in speaker. It’s the most affordable way to add Alexa to existing speakers. It includes far-field microphones for hands-free Alexa, as well as a mute and action button on the top. The Echo Link will be $34.99 when it’s released, but currently you can only sign up to be notified when it’s available to order.

The Echo Input is a small circular puck that is nearly an inch smaller in diameter than the new 3rd-gen Echo Dot and less than a third the height. It connects to external speakers through its 3.5mm audio out jack or through Bluetooth.

If you’re looking to add hands free Alexa capabilities to existing speakers, the Echo Input might be a good way to save $15 versus buying the Echo Dot. One thing to keep in mind is that the Echo input does not have an LED light ring, like most Echo devices. Instead, it only has a single LED dot in the top center. this might not seem like a big deal, but the LED ring on an Echo and Echo Dot is a hand indicator, which can be easily seen from across the room, so you know that Alexa has heard you.

The Echo input is powered by an included 5W power adapter that uses a micro USB connection. It also comes with an included 1-meter auxiliary audio cable for its 3.5mm audio out jack. It will be available in either black or white when it’s released.

1. anjenaire says:

It’s funny but I hadn’t really thought of a use case for this since I have lots of echo dots but I do have that exact bluetooth speaker they feature on their website and I could see using it to cue up Holiday music at my in-laws without have to leave my phone operating near the speaker. I will follow this device.

2. Floki says:

I use all my echo dots like this, connected to bluetooth speakers. Cheap enough this would be perfect.

3. Keith says:

This is actually a good idea.

4. AR says:

so close Amazon , so close
    still no CC audio like device
    i paid $30 for my dots, the euphy geni has gone to $20 ,
    they should have came out with something like this after coming out with a dongle that drops the mic’s and buttons and adds optical out instead
    something that just is for audio and that is half the price of the lowest price a dot 2nd gen has ever been on sale when it is on sale or introductory price
    i do not need microphones and buttons , i just want to hook it to my AVR
    and not pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars for their more expensive option
    this is not a bad idea at all but they should have gave us a str8 up CC audio clone first

5. tech3475 says:

One problem I see with this though is that I regularly see the Echo Dot on sale.

So unless they bring this down to $/£20 at the same time I’d be more inclined to wait and get the Echo Dot instead.

That said, it’s a shame they discontinued their music upload service as the streaming services can be lacking in comparison to my own collection e.g. missing songs/albums, live versions, wrong versions, etc.

It’s the one advantage the Google CC Audio has over the Echo for listening to music on a stereo.

• JFC says:

There are some third party online services that allow you to use Alexa devices to stream your own media files on the same network from a NAS type device (attached storage) or even from your PC’s hard disk.

They’re a bit kludgy, but they’re free and they do work.

• tech3475 says:

Thanks, turns out Plex may also be an alternative as well.

The downside to these though is the need for a server to work, I’m fortunate that my Plex Server is on nearly 24/7 but my music is stored on a separate computer.

Also seems that these wont support multi-room audio unfortunately as well (according to mymediaalexa).

• AR says:

true about Amazon discontinuing their upload service but if you can get POS GA to ever play any music for your own library then you must be made of magic, it never works
      also i noticed as of yesterday that GH/ GA home control has totally stopped working altogether ,it won’t turn on ANY of my smartthings lights
      GH GA is an unreliable worthless POS that NEVER works for anything
      everything google is doing is a total dumpster fire
      i have 3 GH minis and i never use them i always use the dots because google sucks and never fixes anything all they do is break things even worse all of the time

their developers are pants on head retarded

• tech3475 says:

I’ve never used GH/GA, I’ve had to use the Mobile app.

• AR says:

i always struggle to try and get it to play my own music and it never works ever , then some times out of the blue i will ask it to playa pandora station and it will play music from my library instead , totally random
          Google deliberately breaks it so you will need to sub to a paid service

• JFC says:

I have a sizable Google Music library of my own music files.

And I’m pretty sure in the past that I was told by Google that the voice command features would only work if I had a paid Google Music subscription as opposed to the free variety.

Either way, whenever I’ve tried to voice command my own Google Music, it’s never worked reliably.

6. Erin says:

Gizmodo UK says this will also be sold bundled with speakers from 3rd party manufacturers, including Bose and UE.