Alexa in the UK can now also control TVs and other Audio Video devices — Possibly including the Fire TV

Amazon has announced that UK customers now also have access to Alexa’s recently added ability to control media devices like TVs, remotes, A/V receivers, and IR hubs. This is the extension of the Alexa Smart Home Skill API that allows customers to remotely control Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks using the Echo and Echo Dot.

When Amazon first announced Alexa’s new ability to control media devices, it wasn’t until a couple of weeks later that the new feature made it possible to control Fire TV devices. While Amazon hasn’t technically announced that Fire TV owners in the UK can now control use Echo devices to control the streaming media players, the feature seems to already be rolling out.

Echo device owners in the UK are already seeing a new Fire TV option in the Alexa app that lets them assign Echo devices to control the Fire TV. The feature may not be fully ready yet because some Alexa controls, like launching apps, don’t seem to work yet in the UK.

1. Grimm says:

Thanks for the Post,
    I immediately checked if this is also available in Germany and yes i can see the option in my german device.

I was waiting for this since the release.

2. boudyka says:

not seeing any video skills yet, but blue harmony is back, with red harmony now called harmony secondary hub, can now do both harmony hubs one is turn on tv, the other ask harmony to turn on tv etc….progress I think

3. Freemz says:

I got an Alexa app update today, assuming it would have added the video section but it has not, I assume this will roll out in stages?

4. FireTVNoob says:

Had it on my account, but on on my wife’s. It worked through my account for about 5 mins. I checked my wife’s Alexa app, and now it’s been removed from mine. (Yesterday)

Strange.

5. jbugs says:

any idea when this feature will be available in india

6. Andrew says:

Seems like we’re being mis-advised. Again.