Alexa can now control all Sonos speakers

You don’t have to buy the new Sonos One if you want voice control of a Sonos speaker. That’s because Sonos has announced that voice control of their speakers through an Alexa device is now available to everyone as a public beta.

Amazon and Sonos announced a partnership last year to bring Alexa to Sonos’ speakers. Sonos has been working on deep Alexa integration for some time. The capabilities have been available in a limited private beta for several months, but now they’re available to everyone.

You can use any Alexa-enabled device to remotely control music playback on a Sonos speaker by adding the speaker’s name to the end of your Alexa request. Saying “Alexa, play music on my bedroom speaker” to an Amazon Echo, for example, will start playing your request on a Sonos speaker in the bedroom.

The ability to control one smart speaker using another smart speaker is a new capability that is being debuted with Sonos devices. It’s probably safe to assume that this type of control will be coming to other smart speakers soon. Just like you can use an Echo to control playback on a Fire TV, you will probably soon be able to control one Echo device with another Echo device.

1. Steve Kline says:

How do we get this set up to work?

2. Joe says:

Denon Heos recently made available an Alexa skill allowing you to control your Denon Heos speakers via Alexa.

3. Elias says:

Does anyone know if the Bose SoundTouch integration is similar to this one?

4. brian says:

Underwhelming after a year in ‘development’.

No access to Favourites, Playlists, and no access to Spotify.

Smacks of a hurried alpha release, rather than a beta.

5. Ken says:

Elias, have you tried this out? Before this official announcement I returned my echo device because the Echo could not / would not control my Apple Music playing on my Sonos system.

If it is confirmed now that the Echo device can control Apple Music playing on the Sonos system then I may have to reconsider. My other gripe is that the Echo device cannot select my Apple Music playlist, or to play a radio station on Apple Music.

6. brian says:

You can use the echo to ‘control’ whatever is already playing on Sonos (but no way to select anything new to play).