adbFire simplifies sideloading and sending XBMC files to the Fire TV

adbFire-screenshot

A new Windows application, adbFire, has emerged to help make modifying XBMC on the Fire TV a little easier. The utility is similar to the Amazon FireTV Side App Installer, but adds the ability to send files to specific XBMC directories. It gets a bit tedious to open a command line and enter several commands just to achieve a simple task, so we’re happy to see helper utilities such as this emerging.

To get started with adbFire, just enter you Fire TV IP address into the “Device” field and click “Connect”. You should see “Device connected” in the bottom right. Once connected, check that “ADB running” is also displayed in the bottom right. If not, click the “Start” button under the “adb” column to get everything ready.

With your Fire TV connected and ADB running, you can sideload any app by clicking “Install” and browsing to an APK file. The “Uninstall” button can currently only uninstall XBMC.

The real power with this app comes fromt he “push” column of buttons. Clicking “userdata” allows you to select a file which will be put in your Fire TV’s /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ directory. Adding and modifying files in this directory is an advanced topic for those who really want to get down and dirty with XBMC modifications. The “keymaps” button allows you to upload a file to the /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps directory. This directory allows you to upload a customized keyboard.xml file which is often necessary to get XBMC to play nice with third-party remotes; a topic we plan to cover in the near future. Lastly we have the “media” button which allows you to upload files to the /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/media directory. Here you can upload your own custom “splash.png” file to replace the default loading screen you see while XBMC is loading.

SourceXBMC Forum

1. Jim says:

I have not been able to get adbFire to connect. I have an ASUS RT-N56U router with standard firmware. I think there is a setting blocking my ability to connect. Are you aware of any settings that prevent access from a PC or MAC machine. I tried both, a PC and MAC, multiple times.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Dan says:

Same as previous comment, it’s not working. I was just trying to setup Fire TV and adbfire won’t connect. Connected wireless via Belkin N600 HD router loaded with Tomato fw. No problems finding the IP and running adbfire, but click on connect once and there’s just no response. Click a second time (or third, forth, etc.) and get the response ‘device not connected’.

3. brennan says:

hello
    i am having a hard time installing xbmc on my fire tv stick
    i can get my amazon fire tv stick it to connect using adbfire but i have to use a different ip address that is showing on the about screen on my amazon fire tv stick so instead of 192.168.1.11 (which is the ipaddress on my fire tv stick) i used 192.168.1.1 and it connects. then when i try to install xbmc apk from desktop via abdfire the green status bar just loads and loads and loads. i left it going all night last night and i still did not get a successful this morning.

when i enter this different ip address in the command prompt (via adt bundle- sdk- platform tools) it will connect but then when i type check devices it says offline so i cant install the xbmc apk

ive also tried installing spmc and cannot get it to show up on my amazon fire tv stick even after syncing and looking for it on the cloud

using windows

• Crimson says:

The 192.168.1.1 address is most likely your default gateway. Make sure debugging is turned on. Then, run an ipconfig from command line to make sure your pc is in the same subnet If so, make sure you can ping the 192.168.1.11 address from a command prompt. You should find you problem if you follow these steps.

4. Ryan Griffiths says:

I am having no luck getting adbfire to connect to fire tv. I can side load apps from kindle fire to fire tv no problem I have the correct IP address I have firewall turned off. Why wont it connect. Hell if I no. Anyone else have any ideas.

5. Keith says:

Can I use ADBFire to side load the tr.apk and the Super Su apk? Or is it only for modifying xbmc files. I am having problems side loading those two file with ADB alone. It connects but then says the two files are not zip files. Or says waiting on device. I checked the adb debugging thing also.

6. Hi I’m having a problem transferring zip files from my pc to my fire tv using adbfire please help

7. Steven Randolph says:

I have a macbook and have a firestick I put on ADBfire and installed Kodi but when I choose to put a source- their all ZIp Files ,,,, So what do I do How to I put a zip file on the adbfire program ?

8. JB says:

extract the .apk from the zip file and try to transfer this across..

9. jervonny collier says:

I’m on a mac.. How do you turn on debug mode?

10. cosmetic says:

Hi mates, pleasant paragraph and good arguments commented at this place, I am really enjoying by these.

11. Everything said made a lot of sense. However, what about this?
    what if you were to write a killer headline?
    I am not suggesting your information is not solid., but what if you added a
    post title to maybe get folk’s attention? I mean adbFire
    simplifies sideloading and sending XBMC files to the Fire TV | AFTVnews is a little plain. You might look at Yahoo’s
    home page and note how they create article titles to get people interested.
    You might try adding a video or a pic or two to grab
    people interested about what you’ve written. In my opinion,
    it might bring your posts a little livelier.

12. Hi mates, its impressive article about teachingand fully explained, keep it up all
    the time.

13. I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area .

Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website.
    Reading this information So i am happy to express that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
    I most indubitably will make sure to don?t put out of your mind this website and
    give it a glance on a continuing basis.

14. hi!,I like your writing very a lot! share we be in contact more approximately your article
    on AOL? I need an expert on this space to resolve my problem.

Maybe that is you! Looking forward to see you.

15. Asking questions are truly good thing if you are not understanding anything entirely, but this article gives pleasant understanding even.