2nd-Gen Fire TV also only supports FAT32 — No NTFS or exFAT support for either USB or MicroSD

This was fully expected, but much like the 1st generation Fire TV, I’ve confirmed that the new Fire TV running the latest Fire OS at version only supports FAT32 drives. I tested NTFS and exFAT for both USB drives and microSD drives and neither one was mounted by the operating system. When inserting a non-FAT32 microSD card, the above message is displayed prompting you to format the card. Connecting a USB drive of any format, be it FAT32 or other, will not display any indication that the card was connected. It’s as if USB drive support is a hidden feature. When you connect a FAT32 USB drive, the drive will be mounted and accessible at /storage/usbotg. Connecting any other type of USB drive does not prompt you to format the drive. It simply does not get mounted and is inaccessible.

1. BillH says:

I kind of expected that. Too bad. I have a huge monster collection of movies on NTFS. The 128gb limit would have been way too small anyways for my portable hard drives. I will stick with my WD TV Live which is easily the best option for me.

• BillH says:

I meant the 128GB microSD card limit would have been way too small to transfer anything from my portable hard drives. The microSD card slot is pretty much useless for me.

• natebetween says:

I love my WDTV Live SMP also, but due to all of the other awesome things that KODI on the AFTV does, I opted to go the route of using a 8TB NAS to hold all my stuff. Works great, but a bit of an initial investment. Also, obviously not as portable or as friend-friendly one of my friends sees my setup and wants to duplicate it. Alas…I still use both.

2. natebetween says:

Forgot to add….this sucks. Was hoping Amazon might be a little more consumer-friendly in this regard. Something that can be changed with a FW update in the future??

3. cheryl jones says:

this is a duplicate post. i posted in the general and then saw this.

non techy here but on my roku i have usb port. i can put in a flash drive with personal videos/pics/music and click on the roku usb channel and view my stuff even without wifi connection.
    is that possible with the new fire. i do not see a usb app in store.

how would i get to that /storage/usbotg. do i just type it in or can fire tv 2 do what i want to do.

4. Ulises Rodriguez says:

I hope that sooner or later, some developers will come with a solution to use NTFS and exFAT on the FireTV, like the “Paragon exFAT NTFS & HFS+” APP, from Paragon Technologie GmbH, that unfortunately needs Root, and is available from the Google Play Store :

Or perhaps the new “USB plugin” for Total Commander, also from Paragon Technologie GmbH… That you can access FAT32 and HFS+ storage devices in the READ ONLY mode right from your Android device. NO ROOT access needed:

I really hope that this happens soon, because we really need urgent to use large files of over 4GB !!

5. Chrys says:

Does this mean, when you load KODI, you are not going to be able to access external hard-drive with NTFS or exFAT?

In 1st gen FireTV (rooted and KODI installed), I can access external hard-drive that has files larger than 4GB and is 2TB (so NTFS).

6. Tony says:

NTFS support is half the problem
    I am guessing it can’t see external disks partitioned with GPT (>2TB)

7. Jim Herlihy says:

I installed a Sandisk 128 gb microSSD that advertises AFTV compatibility. I still got the format message and did the reformat, even though it was probably already FAT32 (didn’t check first though). I did notice that some of the games I installed went directly to the microSSD. When I went to manage apps I thought it was a nice touch that they had a microSSD icon to indicate which apps were in that storage.

8. Al says:

Newbie here. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd generation? i.e. How do I know which one I have?

9. Anoymous says:

do u have micro sd on on your fire tv if no 1st generation if yes 2nd generation fire tv

10. Jaime Perez says:

I have a 64 GB SanDisk and FireTV 2nd Gen. (1 week ago)keeps asking to reformat in an endless loop. The card is never formatted nor loaded. What’s going on? I’d the unit defective? I used this card on an Android phone before. It works, I tested it on my Win 10 PC.